1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Josirai, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Josirai

Josirai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2010 Prius and recently I have had (not really a problem) but a concern. I know that whenever the battery gets low, the car starts to use gas to charge it to a certain point, but now it just keeps charging the battery until I turn the car off or drive. Also, whenever I am driving, the car uses gas AS SOON as the pedal is pressed. (Whenever you accelerate, its supposed to only use the battery until you reach a certain point, but it is instantly using gas.) Its not a big problem, but it has decreased my MPG by quite a little bit, and I just wanted to know why it is doing this or how to fix that.

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

sounds like your hybrid battery is getting weak, but it might be worth checking the 12 volt health, and hybrid battery intake grille, vent an fan for obstructions and cleanliness.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well you don't really understand the operation correctly, as you would have to accelerate at about a walking pace (very slowly) to prevent the ICE from coming on most of the time.

But it does sound like something isn't right.
    Without any other indications, you need a qualified shop to look for codes and check things like the HV battery cooling vent and the 12 V battery's health.
    This could be a sign of the HV battery going bad but that usually lights a warning light.

4. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well that is a general question. What your question implies, is that your internal combustion engine is running constantly without charging the battery and without moving the vehicle. Something that actually is impossible. If your internal combustion is running, then it is either applying force to turn the wheels, or forcing motors (the electric motors) that charge the batteries to generate electricity, I know that when ever I depress the accelerator more than 30% my ICE (internal combustion engine) will start. I also know that when I have less than a 50% battery charge it is more than likely that the ICE will be on unless I am traveling less than 7mph. Most fundamentally, I know that my gas mileage will always be better than 42 miles per gallon and that is with the auto AC set to 70 even in Fresno's 100° summers. I also know that when I park my Prius leaving my dog Friday on guard while parked, the engine will come on and charge the battery as needed to keep the air conditioning comfortable for him, and it will still get 42 miles per gallon. If you read the fine print in your manual it will explain why.
    So that brings me to my question; how has this condition that you have mentioned affected the way the your miles per gallon?
    Then try this, Park the car, set the parking break, turn your light and auto a/c off. Set a timer and see how long the ICE runs until it stops. Note the number of bars on the battery. Wait measure how long it takes before that I CE starts again, note that the number of bars on the battery will be less than two.

iPhone ?