1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Cap replacement, Charcoal Canister location, P0446 CEL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bklocke, Jul 16, 2018.

1. bklocke

bklocke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to get my oil changed at Sun Toyota in Florida ($38.32 for Mobil 1, replaced filter and gasket - taxes included-Sunday special!) and the CEL came on on the way there. They were going to charge almost $90 to run a diagnostic, so I said no thanks and Auto Zone read (for free) a P0446 code which says:
    Definition: Evaporative emission control system vent control circuit faultOp, and Probable cause: 1. Open or short circuit condition, 2. Poor electrical connection, 3. Faulty CCV vent control solenoid.

I have read in these forums that gas cap can be the easiest fix. However, I am not sure that is the issue, as it clicks tight and looks okay. Since the car has mostly lived in Vermont and has 212,000+ miles, there is a fair amount of underbody and rocker panel rust, and my muffler needs replacement.

I would love your input on the following:
    1. Where is a good place to buy the cheapest new genuine Toyota gas cap for my 2006 Prius?
    2. Where is the charcoal canister located and how can I get a precursory look at it and the hoses connected to it to see if there is anything obviously damaged?
    3. Where should I look in response to #2 cause in the first paragraph, for a possible electrical short?
    4. If I replace the gas cap or do something else that solves the issue, how far or long would I need to drive the car to see the CEL go away?
    5. What other suggestions do you have for me.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom - I love this forum - I don't use it often but it has always been helpful!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try camelback and olathe toyota. probably need to drive a few days for the light to go out.

if it isn't the cap, you will need prius diagnostic software and a subscription to the service manual for troubleshooting at tech info.toyota.com

all the best!(y)

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The way the charcoal canister gets damaged ( actually the activated charcoal gets used up ) is if you have a habit of overfilling the tank and raw gas overflows into the canister.

JeffD

ozzy1 and Raytheeagle like this.