1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Engine Doesn't Start !!!

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by x3mblr, Apr 14, 2014.

1. x3mblr

x3mblr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    These are pictures of Donor Car !!!

Attached Files:

2. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like a mechanical assembly problem. Engine and trans not put together right?
    Flywheel on backwards ?
    Too long bolt somewhere?

3. x3mblr

x3mblr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The thing is, that I never separated engine from transmission. I just took it out from one car and put into another.

4. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you tired to pull the codes again now that you are getting a bit more signs of life?

BTW its a good sign that you can get to ready and drive on EV, but you want to be careful about doing much of this until you get the ICE working. Without the ICE you have no way to recharge the HV battery, so once you've run it down you'll have another problem on your hands.

Also the connection from MG2 (the drive motor) to the wheels is a fairly distinct path from the ICE/MG1 (starter/generator) and may not necessarily mean that all is well in the transaxle.

As others have mentioned there are a lot of sensors and monitors going on the in the system that will cut the HV power if things aren't just right so you really need to get the code scanner working to know what's going on.

5. x3mblr

x3mblr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    YES i did tried to pull the codes, but no luck. I was trying In READY mode, and when only Ignition is On, no communication. I know one guy from Toyota, so maybe I'll try to get this prius to him, and scan it with Genuine Toyota Scanner. Will see what we can get from it.

6. x3mblr

x3mblr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    DO you think that whatever happens could be just because of Low Tranny fluid in transmission or Engine oil? Because, I when I took out axle shaft, about 0.5Liter of tranny oil leaked out of the transmission, and same with engine, it has low level of oil in it.

7. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hard to know what's going on. Does the engine turn over?
    Wait what if you switched two fat orange wires. Wouldn't it lick up like he describes when the wrong phase gets energized.
    In any case until you read the codes it will be a bunch of wild guess work.

8. x3mblr

x3mblr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The only orange wire that i disconnected was the one that goes from the back to inverter, ( if you look from the front on the engine, its one that on the Right). I remember it had Black and White wires. I will try to take it out and see if I could mix them up. Thanks

9. x3mblr

x3mblr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Engine turns over manually but not when I start to drive it. I checked the connectors on Orange cable and they are connected properly. Waiting for guy to come and scan it with toyota scanner.

iPhone ?

10. x3mblr

x3mblr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi EveryOne! I got some good news!!!
    Today I finally got a guy from Toyota Dealer come over with his Toyota Scan Tool. So, he connected his Laptop, and guess what??? NO COMMUNICATION! So he tried to play with the car, start it and so on.
    When He tried to start the gas engine, I was staying with the Hood open and I heard some noise from Spark Plug Coils! All coils are crackling. So, i track down the wires and these wires brought me to the Engine Module on the Firewall behind the engine. So I unplugged the plug from the module and noise disappeared. At this point I realized that this module could be bad, because it was uncovered when I got this car, and some rain water could damage it. So, I got another module from my donor car, put it on, and Gas Engine Started!!!!!!!! WOW :)
    I was happy for about a second or two, but then, the engine was running very loud and metal to metal noise made me worry. I Lot of white smoke! However, after few min, engine was running normal. It was probably because the engine didnt run for a while, so it needed some time for engine oil to smooth it out.

it Was I good Day Today ;)

Mark323, minkus and robertmaria like this.
  11. si12j12

si12j12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, that's awesome . Good job

Nexus 7 ?

12. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any codes on the vehicle now that you got it running again?

Also you may want to pick up mini VCI w/Techstream (just need PC laptop to run it) same as what Toyota dealer uses.

13. x3mblr

x3mblr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No any codes! However i didnt run it much yet. Will let you know after i drive it more

iPhone ?

14. xerox6135

xerox6135 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    well what the story

15. x3mblr

x3mblr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Car runs great! No any issues. I got 3k on it. Car is all good. Will be selling soon, since we need a bigger car, will go for Prius V :)

iPhone ?

16. Mark323

Mark323 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good luck with the sale, and to the next owner especially.

17. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A fascinating story ! After all that computer razz me taz, the basic principles of a ICE prevailed. Is there gasoline, Is there spark?