1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas engine replacement and HV Batt cell replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Oldmanriver, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Oldmanriver

Oldmanriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everybody I have been looking into acquiring a Toyota Prius for sometime and picking up bits of information here and there. I am mechanically inclined but hello everybody I have been looking into acquiring a Toyota Prius for sometime and picking up bits of information here and there. I am mechanically inclined but will admit lacking in the electrical department.

So yesterday I picked up a 2007 Prius that needs a motor replacement due to throwing a rod and upon further in expection by way of my scan tool receive code P0A80 what's the owners claim they were unaware of but did help at the negotiating table.

strawbrad likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's possible that code was thrown not because the hybrid battery is bad, but because the hybrid battery got drained down too low in the previous owner's desperate attempt to get their blown engine to start working again.

Hopefully you can find a good deal on a replacement engine, which is a lot of work. Are you going to find a mechanic to help or DIY the engine swap? If I were you I'd get an engine with transmission so then you have less to take apart.

As for the battery pack, pull it out and get it on a work bench... Then clean all the connections, especially the voltage sensors, then charge up each individual module with a smart charger specifically for NiMH batteries. These chargers are commonly used for RC cars, planes and drones. I prefer IMAX SkyRC B6AC V2... Or you could go the more expensive, but less time consuming route and buy Prolong system that does all the battery modules at once: Prolong® Battery Systems FAQ – Hybrid Automotive

bisco likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think that you got a BAD deal here, unless you paid close to NOTHING for it because at 11 years old it is entirely possible that the HV battery IS bad too.......and in the end you will have invested a LOT more money than it will ever be worth on the open market.

It will take a lot of your time and money and might not ever be completely "right".

I wish you good luck.......because you likely will need it.

#3 sam spade 2, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, sounds like a fun project car!

start with the 12v health. a sticky reading below 12.4 can make the computers do funny things. or it might read okay, but a load test will bring it way down.
    once you know you have a good 12v, you can get tech stream prius aware software for all your diagnosis needs, and an online subscription to the service manual as needed.

all the best!(y)

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You guys are just going to have to learn to deal with the fact that Sam rarely has anything positive to say about anything. He can say whatever he pleases, as he seems to have convinced himself he is saving the world from themselves with his advice. There's a reason he has a "2" in his forum ID. Because "1" has been put on so many ignore lists that he probably felt he wasn't getting enough of a rise out of responders. Use your ignore list if you choose. It never hurts to be exposed to a negative/opposite view of the world. Sam certainly provides that. Just keep it in perspective. Unfortunately, if you don't take his advice he gets offended. If you have a different opinion, he gets offended. His experience overrides everyone else's. We probably all have our individual stories where we met someone in our life who is never wrong and is always the only one providing correct advice on every situation. Typically, they use the same excuse...."I'm the only one being real" or "I'm the only one making the hard calls". It's easy for these people to convince themselves they're the unsung hero, but a bit more difficult to come to the realization that they may be the one who is in need of therapy.............

As for myself? If I found a car that needed a replacement engine and an HV battery, and I really liked the rest of the car and the price was right, I would buy it and not think twice about it.

Skibob likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I didn't know you could hide someone? My main concern is that new people who post shouldn't have to be trolled by a person who offers no expertise or skill or even basic knowledge of how to repair anything, but is only interested in telling people they're stupid for thinking they can repair their own car. There's simply no reason to allow someone who's only use of this forum is posting condescending cliches that offer no insight or information.

Skibob likes this.
  7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, I didn't know you could hide someone

click on their ID. A profile pop-up will appear. One of the options will be "ignore"

Unfortunately, it can make some threads read oddly, as you'll see replies that make no sense, since they are replies to an "ignored" ID

Skibob, Raytheeagle and PriusCamper like this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The “ignore” function is a great feature of Prius Chat ;).

It makes reading and threads a lot better(y).

Skibob, benagi and PriusCamper like this.
  9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They let the guy change his user name? When I signed up it said you won’t be able to change your name.

10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just for the record, this site has had several MAJOR crashes in the past few years. Twice during those crashes my user account was damaged and the owner at the time had no idea how to fix it. Thus the new account.

11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So everyone else had to change their name also?

Starship16 and PriusCamper like this.
  12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 things I have never done in any chat room are put someone on ignore and flag anyone’s post. I’m a big boy and I do like to see other viewpoints.

Starship16 likes this.
  13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No. I have no idea how many others had a similar problem.

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep... I'm the same way... But I wish there was a way that certain people who aren't welcoming or positive towards 1st time posting were unable to post comments to the first post or two of the new people.

Skibob likes this.
  15. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is. People like you that call foul on this type of thing. One thing I know from forum mods I know. A very small number of people actually flag posts. Typically those people are not well liked.

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So as long as we don't say anything about "people like you that call foul on this type of thing" it's all lollipops and rainbows for evermore? Sounds great! 100% support that!

17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just ask the moderator to change it. He did it for me, thank you.

Getting back to the OP. I absolutely hate working on cars. I find nothing fun or interesting about it. To each his own. I'm thankful for all the skilled mechanics out there. Swapping out the engine and buying a new hybrid battery? That's a lot of money, and time. But some guys enjoy buying older broken-down cars and fixing them up. They must have money to burn.

For me, if I buy a used car, it better at least be in running condition. :LOL:

#17 Starship16, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My intent was not to offend you. I meant as long as people give constructive ideas rather than negative non helpful comments newbies will figure out who to ignore on their own. Also the flag posts comment was directed at someone else, not you. Now that I reread my comment I can see I phrased it badly.

#18 Skibob, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    PriusCamper likes this.
  19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for clarifying.... I must admit I read it at the end of a really long and exhausting day... :)

Skibob likes this.