1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas engine shut off while driving, could not get it back.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by barnes, Feb 25, 2017.

1. barnes

barnes New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yesterday I had my first breakdown in my 2013 v that I bought a just over month ago, certified preowned. While driving, I made a quick acceleration to avoid a double parked car stopped in the lane. It seemed to loose traction for a moment, then the gas engine shut off. I had a slurry of indicators. Traction control indicator, hybrid system indicator, check engine, etc. I was a few blocks from home and nearly made it on battery before it completely shut down.

Luckily it is under warranty and I was covered with roadside assistance. That being said, I'm trying to figure out what might of happened as I'm the curious sort...and because I want to make sure that never happens again. Wasn't a blast waiting around for a tow on Friday night.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sounds like the inverter or something in it. someone else had a problem a few days ago. or maybe the pump.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Was the M/G firmware upgrade done?

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 109,000 model-year 2012-14 Toyota Prius v hybrids

The Problem: The software settings for the motor/generator control engine control unit and hybrid control ECU could result in higher thermal stress in certain transistors, potentially damaging them. If this happens, various warning lights will illuminate and the vehicle can enter fail-safe mode. In rare circumstances, the hybrid system could shut down while the vehicle is being driven, resulting in a loss of power and the vehicle coming to a stop.

The Fix: Dealers will update the software for both the motor/generator control ECU and hybrid control ECU.

Read more at Recall Alert: 2012-2014 Toyota Prius v

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. barnes

barnes New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thats a good question...I'm assuming so, as it came off the thousand point certified pre-owned. I'll check in on the service records.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whoops, i think it's supposed to be 1,001.:cool:

6. barnes

barnes New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Word from the shop is that it is the inverter. I'm happy I have the warranty to take care of it, but obviously a little frustrated something this big went out so quickly. I still have the temp tag in the window! Well, I suppose all is well that ends well.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very unusual, i think. glad you were covered!(y)