1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gas engine turns off while driving: codes C1259, C1310

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by justinbourb, Mar 18, 2018.

1. justinbourb

justinbourb New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Prius Chat community,

I've got a 2012 prius v. Here's the story: I had pulled off the highway into a rest stop for a quick break. Then 20 or so minutes later when I got back in the car to resume my trip everything started as usual. I accelerate out of the parking lot towards the highway and the car forcibly shifts into neutral. A bunch of warning lights come up, ICE/gas engine won't start, can't shift the car into drive or reverse. I can still power on (engine doesn't start, and the pump doesn't start when the car door is opened) the car but can't do anything beside shift to neutral.

The car as 83,000 miles. I think the issue may be related to the IPM recall, but I'm not sure?

Does anyone have any advice regarding what could be the root cause?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The two trouble codes you have listed are just codes that the brake/skid computer will report, if the computer that controls the hybrid drivetrain reports a problem to it. In other words, they don't really tell you anything on their own, except that the hybrid drive computer has something to tell you.

Probably those codes were retrieved by a scan tool that is only able to see information from certain computers like the engine and brakes, so it was able to read those codes from the brake computer, but didn't show you any of the hybrid codes that would tell you what's really going on.

It would be best to plug in a scan tool that can retrieve all the diagnostic info from all the computers in a Prius, and then the situation should become clear.

That can be done at a Toyota dealer, or by anyone using the Techstream software on a beater laptop; there are lots of threads in the forums here about getting that set up.

-Chap

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Was the IPM recall done on this car?

bisco likes this.
  4. justinbourb

justinbourb New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello ChapmanF and Air_Boss,

Thank you for your responses. The car hasn't undergone IPM recall.

ChapmanF thank you for the information on the Techstream software, this would take a few days to setup (shipping cable, software installation, etc). I'll look into taking the car to the nearest dealer with fingers crossed.

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Be sure to mention the IPM as a possible root cause, and be sure to have the re-flash done.

6. justinbourb

justinbourb New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Prius Chat,

I brought the car to the dealer and the root cause was the IPM failure. Thankfully the car was repaired under warranty and IPM ECU was reflashed with updates.

Raytheeagle and Air_Boss like this.
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What is an IPM?

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Integrated Power Module

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not a recall. Warranty enhancement which the dealership would check codes and go off a TSB to see if you are in need of a whole inverter, or IPM, or IPM with temp sensor harness and MG ECU. Ive done about seven in one week at a time. Those codes are just redundant to other more pressing DTCs.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good call, a-b.(y)

Air_Boss likes this.
  11. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Intelligent Power Module. I had to take this picture since in the repair manual it calls it two different things and then our parts catalog says another.

Attached Files: