1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas engine won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bawelser, Jun 8, 2008.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That were looky. <My Yorkshire accent.
    I have one thing to add, 2 pips.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well done Patrick, even an old know-it-all like me can learn something new once in a while.
    I'm guessing you'd recommend the battery disconnect trick be attempted once and only once?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

See the bottom of p. 5-8 of the attached document. Perhaps Bryan tried to restart the car a few times before fuel was added. If not, the control logic in 2006 may have been tightened up to require dealer tech intervention before the car would start.

Hi Evan,

Yes, if this doesn't work after it is tried once, there is no value in trying the same thing again.

Hi Bryan,

You had earlier mentioned that you tried jumpstarting the car. As you now know, this was unnecessary. In general, I suggest to Prius owners that if you can turn on the headlights and they are brightly lit, then you can eliminate the 12V battery as a source of starting problems.

Knowing that the consequences of a botched Prius jumpstart can be severe, I encourage owners to rely less on jumpstarting and more on keeping the 12V auxiliary battery in good condition. Some owners like to eke out the last bits of life from the battery before they will consider replacing it. Considering the complex electronics in Prius and the tendency for weirdness to develop with a marginal 12V battery, I suggest it is better to replace the battery as a preventive measure after 4 years if your winters feature snow; otherwise no later than 6 years.

If you do not drive many miles on your car (say <= 5K miles per year) or your trips are of very short duration, then you may have to replace the battery even more frequently than 4-6 years, or else use a battery tender to keep the charge up.

Attached Files: