1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas filler door open message--ACT IMMEDIATELY

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dslomer64, Jun 19, 2017.

1. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In January, I went into a regularly-used gas station that, for some reason, couldn't read my credit card this time. (This was after I had opened the fuel filler door and unscrewed the cap.) So I drove about a mile (as I recall) to the next station, noting a message saying the fuel door was ajar. (Tell me something I DO not know.) I proceeded to fail to get more than a few ounces into the tank (actually, into the NECK, I now know). Now this had happened MANY times with my '06 for no reason I can state, so it was not alarming.

Until half a gallon of gas finally spewed forth all over the quarter panel of my near-new 2017.

I had read, weeks before, about what had happened, which I recalled immediately, before the gas had finished spilling. But its significance didn't hit me in text. In practice, oh, yeah. Right in the face. (Not literally.)

So, friends, if you get the message about your fuel door being open, stop immediately and screw the cap on and shut the door. Gas won't go in until you do. Not sure why this design.

I'd have to say this new feature isn't one I'd want, given the choice. But go ahead and give me the message in the highly unlikely event I repeat this faux pas. I definitely know what to do.

Best teacher: Experience
    Also ran: Text

Gen 2 (2006) and Gen 4 (2017)

RCO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you for the timely warning. probably because it's a pressurized system with emission controls.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sure the valve closed in order to pressurize the gas tank when you started up in spite of the cap and door still being open. To get the valve to open again, you'd need to replace the cap and close the door. Then push the door release button again and the valve will open.

William Redoubt and RCO like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2017 had a yellow warning tag on the signal lever. There is also a label inside the fuel door. Both warn that refueling must be completed within 30 minutes or fuel will be spilled. If it takes longer, press the fuel door switch again.

The real caution is to read the warnings and toe owners manual before driving this car!

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes exactly. It is pressurized.

The issues on your GenII are completely unrelated as those were bladder collapse style issues.

dslomer64 likes this.
  6. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's what to do, all right. I remembered/realized to do that, which took all of a half-gallon spill--I mean 5 seconds--to recall, as I implored the fellow next to me to flick that butt the OTHER way. (JK. No butts. Nor iffs or annds.)

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  7. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please. To paraphrase (I think) Bob and Doug McKenzie, "I, like, READ manuals; I don't, like, MEMORIZE manuals, eh?"

But first, my 2017 had no such warning tag, probably because the salesman who had to drive it 300 miles (from the nearest dealership that had what I wanted) was bothered by it. No matter. Got the manual. (Did I just make clear that I had read it?)

Therefore, second, as I said in my post, I HAD READ about the filler door deal somewhere in the manual, but until the event in question OCCURS so that the "knowledge" can actually be APPLIED, it's like well over half of what most of us read: forgotten. Until it can be APPLIED, knowledge (if recalled at all) isn't always very useful. Besides, when have I ever taken more than 30 minutes to refuel??? NEVER. So, messages (manual and fuel door) received; so what? (Hence, I didn't even highlight the 30-minute thing on page 264.) Who, I wondered then and now, could the 30 minutes actually apply to, how, and why?

Third, note that I was well within the 30-minute time frame you mention, so why the lockout??

Fourth, it took a LOT of effort today to replicate the problem. Starting and powering off; opening just the fuel lid, then removing the cap, or not. Then starting over. After maybe five attempts, always powering off before or after pressing fuel door button, the message "Close fuel lid" finally appeared when I powered up. I drove again, as in my other event, immediately to gas station, fuel door open, cap dangling. Fuel would not go in. Where's the 30 minutes? I began the refueling process a mile from a gas station and within two minutes couldn't finish the process. Until I again pushed the fuel door button. Every time except this once, after I would power off and on, I got the message "Refueling ready."

So what do y'all think of item four? Why, under identical conditions, did I NOT get "close fuel lid" message all the other times I had lid open, cap off?

Whatever, I was merely trying to be a good guy and warn others about my accident. I don't mind making myself look bad (kinda resent when others do) if I can help others in the process.

#7 dslomer64, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a TSB about the fuel door spring mentioned in other threads that mentioned the valve opening prematurely but if you were less than 30 minutes, that should not have been the issue either.
    Some users wondered that if the nozzle accidentally hit the fuel door latch if the valve may close early.
    Otherwise, out of ideas.

dslomer64 likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think anyone is trying to pile on you or make fun of you. At least I hope not. Maybe just surprised that someone would drive on purpose with the fuel cap off? I don't know. Actually, I'm glad you brought it up and weren't bashful about it. As I tell my friends, "I'm not completely useless. You can always use me for a bad example." ;)

But, as for number four in your list, it's what I said before. You drove it and that's the difference. It pressurizes the tank to drive no matter whether the door or cap are closed. If they are already open when you shut off the car, there's nothing to tell it to open the valve and depressurize the tank. I don't know about gen 4, but gen 3 gives some sort of "OK to fuel" message once the tank is depressurized. On mine, it's practically instantaneous.

RCO likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not seen any message on the Gen4 saying it is ok to fuel.

RCO likes this.
  11. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Didn't think anyone was piling on, just defensive. Bad personality trait that surfaces too often..

Didn't realize door was open until halfway to second gas station. Figured it'd be okay to be open for another 1/4 mile. Intended to shut after refuelling. Finally did.

Never noticed "ready to fuel" message until today. What can I say.

So, if I understand, the reason I only got "fuel door open" once is that I hadn't driven enough between stops and restarts to build up enough pressure to get that message but finally pressure did build up. Hmm.

That night I had driven 40 miles, went to first station, opened lid (not positive if I removed cap or not), pump rejected card, drove off, got message immediately because of 40 miles worth of pressure build-up? (Didn't shut door since I needed it open to complete refueling!!

Makes sense to a guy who once got brave enough to replace a broken rocker arm on a 79 Corona wagon 20R engine and adjusted its valves many times but who is not up on these here new-fangled hootchamadoos you young whippersnappers keep ranting about ««hmmuhhmmtsk»» ««ahhuummtsp»» (old person sounds).

Hell, "Close fuel lid" even makes sense now. Just do it, whatever the screen says and there'll be no problems.

Still not sure I get the 30 minute warning, though. The 30 is really arbitrary, yes? And top of page 264 probably needs rewriting:

"! NOTICE
    ¤ Refueling
    Finish refueling within 30 minutes. If more than 30 minutes passes, the internal valve closes. In this condition, fuel may overflow..."

"Finish refueling" isn't the point, is it? And it's not about TIME, is it? Isn't it about PRESSURE? How SHOULD Toyota say it to get the correct message across? Because I'm by no means stupid, and that paragraph tells me nothing important without outside assistance. (T'ink you veddy much.)

#11 dslomer64, Jun 19, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Automotive idiosyncrasies are never good, can lead to mishaps with valets and gas station attendants.

Invoke the "bat signal", ie: @Prius Team !

13. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nor had I, until today, possibly because fuel lid was open during my "testing", but pressure in the tank was low enough that the car is saying, "Hey, the fuel lid is open, but go ahead and fuel, you'll have no problems, such as pressure causing gas to spray you", thereby not needing to say, "Close fuel lid", which in fact seems to actually be sending the message, "There's too much pressure in the tank to allow you to just stick in a fuel hose; press the fuel door open switch for me and I'll release the pressure and the internal door that prevents fuel in tank from spraying you when under pressure."

#13 dslomer64, Jun 19, 2017
  14. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes it is about time. If you push the button and don't do anything else, is it supposed to keep the valve open indefinitely? The point of the valve is to help minimize gas vapour emissions; it has to be open to refuel, but any additional open time not spent actively refueling is worse for the environment.

They had to set a time limit. Some product manager probably decided that it would be unlikely for a reasonable person to still be attempting to shove ~10 gallons into the tank 30 minutes after starting the process. Just in case, they warn about it in the manual and put a sticker on the lid.

What it sounds like is they simply forgot to also mention that starting the car (and driving? for some minimal distance?) essentially causes your 30 minute window to expire immediately. This, too, isn't all that unreasonable, except they forgot to make any mention of it.

It was probably an oversight, or they thought it was so obvious that, by driving it meant that you weren't fuelling, it wasn't worth insulting your intelligence by reminding you on a sticker.

Sorry it happened. Note to self: push fuel door release button EVERY time when stopping for gas, regardless of current door or filler cap state.

15. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

This says it's not about time: 30 doesn't equal 0. So it is unreasonable. So modify the manual and stickers. Say what is actually meant, maybe like this:

Displayed message:
    "Fuel door open. Close before fueling."

In manual:
    "If the fuel lid is open while driving and sufficient pressure has built up in the tank, you must press the fuel lid opener switch to release the pressure before attempting to refuel. Otherwise, fuel will be blocked from entering the tank and will likely spill."

On lid, in big red letters:
    "If this lid was open while driving, press the lid opener switch before fueling."

All the misleading, confusing text is the insult.

Belaboring the now all too obvious?

And it's not about sorry, it's about clarity for future owners and their manuals.

#15 dslomer64, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Besides the emissions factor in that fill valve, there's a safety factor involved. I don't think they want us driving around with an open container of gasoline and winding up on our side in a muti-vehicle pileup, pouring fuel onto the road.

Since2002 likes this.
  17. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also if your car is in an enclosed garage you don't really want fuel vapors leaking out for several hours.

To the OP's point, mistakes can happen and someone may inadvertently try and add fuel when the valve is closed, which is a dangerous situation in and of itself. I suppose they could have a mechanism that somehow blocks the fuel filler opening if the valve is closed. Or perhaps a less costly solution is a light indicating green for ready and red for don't fill. Although I suppose having lights inside the fuel filler door might be considered a safety issue. And anyway some people would probably ignore the red light not knowing what it's for and try and fill anyway. So a mechanical block seems the safest solution, although I don't know how complicated or costly that would be, and probably from Toyota's point of view they already warned about it in the manual so I doubt if they are inclined to build in a safeguard.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We also know this may be a US-only situation. The Australian Prius, and likely others, do not have this feature.

kithmo likes this.
  19. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't find Prodigyplace's message saying he'd never seen the "Refuel ready" message upon pressing the lid opener and I concurred. Today, it seems to be there every time you press it. Guess it always was.

Here's another item. Car parked in shade, not driven for 12 hours. I opened the fuel lid and drove off. Within 2 (not after 30) minutes' driving, I got "Close fuel lid". Apparently, pressure doesn't enter into it either--how much pressure could build up in a 2-mile drive at 25 mph in 82° weather? I suppose, then, that the object is to lock the internal fuel door no matter the pressure. Being very cautious for the unwitting driver who ignored the strange messages in 3 places.

But here's the fun part. If you push the lid opener while STOPPED (even with ENGINE ON, e.g., at a traffic signal), you get "Refuel ready". (No reasonable person would do this deliberately. So, so what. Not that much fun. Design flaw?)

Don't think I'm obsessing over this. As printed, the message does NOT APPLY TO ANY REASONABLE PERSON. So anyone reading it will IGNORE it, as I did. Yes, I remembered reading it but then filing it under N/A. Just write what actually happens. I gave one suggestion earlier. Next year's owners deserve this change, especially owners of older Prii for whom the locked fuel door wasn't an issue.

I don't know if Toyota is going to modify that paragraph and the tags and stickers, but they should. Will they?

Whatever. Stick a fork in me; I'm done.

#19 dslomer64, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This reminds me of the return-to-centre shifter: a small (and maybe somewhat arbitrary) design change, creating gotchas and necessitating patches.

RCO and dslomer64 like this.