1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas gauge does not agree with Drive Information display

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Klaatu, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Klaatu

Klaatu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Drive information display says 7 miles to go. Fill up tank and take 7.8 gals. The gas gauge display shows two bars - no blinking.

That is a fairly large margin of error.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Because people are stupid and run it down to 0 pips or miles to go all the time. If people's cars ran out of gas when they said 0miles to go, people would also complain. This way there is more anxiety to people that run the tank really low before fillups.

For instance my DMC12 runs out of gas anywhere between an 1/8th of a tank left and empty. So if the car reported you had 2 gallons or 100 miles left and then ran out of gas... That would suck too.

Fuel gauges are not precision and since the car cannot tell if you are going to sit and idle in a parking lot for hours or drive 100mph on the highway, the drive range is just a gross estimate that should be taken to be about as accurate as a Picasso is to reality. It sort of makes sense if you stare at it, but otherwise it could be anything.

Klaatu likes this.
  3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As soon as it hits 0 miles it will drop to 1 flashing bar. You still have ~1.5 gallons in the tank left, so your final mileage will vary.

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have noticed that full, half and 0 (as long as you add the hidden remainder) are all pretty accurate... everything in between is a crap shoot.

5. Klaatu

Klaatu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your response I feel much "smarter" now.

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    We've had this discussion a few too many times and people get angry quickly about the gas gauge. Check out the thread about the guy that had a tendency to run out and then get angry about it.

Netineti likes this.
  7. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ...which is why it's called a GUESS gauge by many of us!

Dylan Murphy likes this.
  8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I like that. The LEAF has the guess-o-meter and the Prius has the guess gauge. :D It really isn't any different from any other gas gauge that I have ever seen though.

9. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The error isn'that great. First, that 7 miles to go is not until you run out of gas but until you are running on reserve, meaning you're low in gas and need to look for a gas station. Second if you needed 7.8 gallons to refill from 2 bars that means approximatey 18% of the tank was the gas volume. Since there are 89 bars 2 bars is about 2.3 gallons left in the tank. Considering the inaccuracy of the consistency of refilling to the same level thats pretty close. If you overrfilled the levelb y .3 gallons, easy to do, you agree pretty well with the drive info. Course, ask yourself do we need most of the info presented? We might be better off with larger font data on important stuff like coolant temp and time rather than the cute stuff shown.

10. Klaatu

Klaatu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the explaination, my last three Toyotas were stripped down pickups, no options, until 2002 when I was forced to buy A/C. Too much information.

11. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    89 bars?

12. Carrollights

Carrollights Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    last year I ran my Prius C completely out of gas, (I got abused by many folks on here :) ) but 35,000 miles later still going strong, well when I filled the tank to the filler cap (again, I got abused by people on here :) ) it took 10.4 gallons

xs650 likes this.
  13. Simonquani

Simonquani New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I love my Prius C - but actually this is the most annoying part of my experience. The car goes from three bars to blinking one bar very fast and will runs out of gas very quickly once the last bar is blinking.

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If over 50 miles is very quickly... you would absolutely hate my wifes Mazda 6. Her car gets maybe 20 miles after her gas light comes on. But then her car doesn't get over 500 miles per tank either.