1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas gauge dropping quickly!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by prberg, Nov 18, 2006.

1. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi all...

weird thing with my current tank. I just saw the last 'flashing' pip come up and I'm only at 265miles. That seems really unusual for me. I am getting 45mpg on this tank (according to the computer). When i last filled up I do remember pumping a little more after the first 'click'. I also remember the gauge said the tank was full as I was leaving the station. Could it be that the tank wasn't quite full (but full enough to register as full?). I've just never had a tank go this fast on me before. Could something be wrong? I have been driving normally on this tank, no special trips or unusual routes. Weather is holding steady in the 70's.

any ideas?

thanks,

-Peter B

2. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prberg @ Nov 18 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]351424[/snapback]</div>
    Could be, however, your numbers come out to about 6 gallons of gas. That's about what we do on 2 pips at 60 F.

So if the reality is plus or minus 3 mpg then you could very well have gone through 6.5-7 gallons. So I guess my point is it isn't that shocking for these temperatures.

The next tank will be the real indicator of a problem, eh? We have been filling on the slowest gas lever setting with no extra and have found ourselves very consistently 2-3 mpg more than the computer.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prberg @ Nov 18 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]351424[/snapback]</div>
    How many gallons did it take?

On my present tank, I just had the fifth bar drop at 280 miles, with 52 MPG showing on the MFD. I am located near you; yes, in the valley.

4. KProspero

KProspero New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 18 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]351515[/snapback]</div>
    Personally, I find the fuel gauge to be the most disappointing thing about this car. Example, today, I filled up at 210 miles with three pips, and 49.8 MPG showing on the MFD. The car took 4.2 gallons.

Other times with two pips, I've take 8.5 gallons. In short, I find my guage to be totally unreliable. Fortunately, I love everything else about the car.

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I just had this happen. Car had 1/2 tank, 268 miles driven and wife wanted to fill up...OH no, gas dropped 5 cents. get it NOW she says, yet the next morning it had dropped another 4, but does she ever listen to me....NO!!!

Anyway, back to what happened, I could only get 3.1 gallons into it....no matter WHAT I did!. Now I lost the first pip at 18 miles

STUPID BLADDER!!!!!!!!