1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas gauge gone seriously non-linear at 170k?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, Mar 4, 2019.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Are other Gen 2 owners with high odometer mileage seeing their gas gauges get very non-linear?

Mine now consistently shows 1/2 tank with only 2 gallons used after fill up. I think it sits at 1-2 bars for the last 5 gallons in the tank.

Is this a problem with the gauge or is it an artifact of the aging tank bladder?

I'm beginning to use the "miles since fill up" counter on the information screen as an upside down gas gauge. My miles-per-gallon usage is fairly consistent.

This strikes me as a "only the dealer can fix this" kinda problem. Since I don't buy from dealers, it means I'm living with the problem.

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a link you might find interesting

Also the factory repair manual has the procedure to adjust this.

I am including this for your reference I haven't needed to perform this procedure on my own Prius. Note the individual did not include the advice that you should have your car as level as possible when doing this.

Graeme1949, Skibob and SFO like this.
  3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine was the opposite. It would sit on full for the first 100 miles then drop like a rock, like 1 pip every 20 miles. Kinda fixed itself when I replaced the 12v battery.