1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas gauge is really off

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Neohippy, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just filled up my Pip for the 1st time. I had 702 miles on the tank and 0 miles left in the tank. I made sure I filled it up and the gas didn't stop early. It only took 8.2 gallons and the manual stated the tank is 10.6. I should have had atleast 100 miles of fuel left yet the computer said empty. The dash said 91mpg and the math was 85mpg which I understand is always off. Just surprised the fuel gauge was showing empty with 2 gal left

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is very normal. Think of it as customer expectation management. All car makers do it.

For a variety of reasons, including an inherent inability of the car to accurately forecast upcoming fuel consumption conditions (which vary enormously in ways the car cannot possibly know in advance), some buffer or safety margin must be built into the display.

If it was truly accurate, many many many drivers would get caught pushing 'fumes' too far and run out of fuel along the roadside. The customer help line would be overwhelmed with angry calls from drivers declaring 'the car said I had enough gas to go there!', and not understanding why conditions changed after they passed the last filling station.

Based on my past cars, 100-ish miles of 'safety margin' seems normal.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 fuzzy1, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Neohippy likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine is exactly the same. if you look at my stats in the spreadsheet sticky, you'll see most of my fill ups are 8 gallons, and that's at the flashing last bar and beep. you have another 100+ miles, but don't get caught with your pants down.:cool:

Neohippy likes this.
  4. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My rule of thumb assumes that I have at least 10 gallons of usable fuel in my tank after topping off. I then reset the trip ODO, so I can drive at least (10 X MPG) miles without running out. The blinking fool-gauge light is just a reminder to keep an eye on the ODO.

Neohippy likes this.
  5. PingPong

PingPong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most cars at cars made in the 90s and 2000s at E on the gas tank would still have about a gallon and a half or two left as a reserve. The Prius on 0 is just like any tank gauge on E. You still got miles to go before it runs dry. However, I definitely wouldn't recommend running it all the way down every time as have more gas in the tank helps disperse the heat for your fuel pump.

bisco and Silver Pine Mica like this.