1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas gauge/mpg, first Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Breannacroper1, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Breannacroper1

Breannacroper1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello everyone,
    About 2 weeks ago I purchased my first Prius, it is a 2007 Touring with almost 109,000 miles (I paid $5,450 - it was a great deal and under market by 1,400). I have wanted a Prius for quite a while and am grateful to finally have one.
    So far I have had no problems and recently got an oil change, I have also been steadily researching online for efficient driving techniques in order to preserve fuel and battery charge. I did test the 12v battery tonight and found that it was at 12.4 (I believe, I tend to forget things quickly. I’m certain it was above 12.3).
    I am averaging about 45 miles per gallon and am continuing to grow in my comfort levels and skill driving the car, but I do imagine it will take time to maximize efficiency. I don’t completely understand all of the technology involved with a hybrid engine as it does get complicated, nor do I have really any car knowledge at all - so this is a day by day learning experience for me all around. So far I am at least happy that driving the Prius encourages thoughtfulness, awareness of driving, and my relation to energy consumption & surroundings.
    I filled up last Monday on gas for the first time, and today, one week later I am down to 2 bars on my gas gauge..which doesn’t seem to make sense, considering I’ve driven a maximum of 300 miles since I’ve filled up and have decent MPG’s. Before I filled up for the first time, my gas gauge did go to one bar, but then somehow bounced back up to 3 bars after I had stopped and turned the car back on. Apparently it’s not uncommon for others to drive even 100miles before their pips drop at all, this is definitely not the case with me.
    Could it be that I need to reset the gas gauge? I have found a forum on how to do this.
    Is there anything that I should consider doing maintenance on or that I should know? Any reason why my gas gauge would be falling so quickly?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

The fuel gauge doesn't function like a normal gauge, as it is using the computer to calculate fuel usage and MPG. If you need accurate MPG then do it manually, using miles traveled by gallons pumped. Best when filling that you never force extra gas into the rubber bladder or 'top it up', and if you only put a few gallons in the computer may not register the added fuel on the gauge.

For additional maintenance you should consider changing the WS fluid in the transmission, otherwise follow the owners manual maintenance schedule.

If want to know the dealer service/recall history for this vehicle, you can learn more by registering the VIN at https://www.toyota.com/owners