1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Gauge problem, caused car to die?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cheetabump, Nov 26, 2012.

1. cheetabump

cheetabump Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi! I'mmmmm baaaccckkk! Guess what!?! My tried and true gas station that my baby blue Prius liked just upgraded their station with the newer faster gas pumps. So, my gas gauge problem is back!!!! The problem now is that when the gauge gets to the half way point, it will drop very fast to the flashing E, even though I only traveled a few miles. When filling up, the tank will take an average of 4 gallons. The gauge will then register to full. I have taken it to my Toyota dealer shop and they didn't find anything wrong and did a reset. All worked fine UNTIL it was fill up time and the cycle starts again. I am now on a hunt for an old fashioned gas pump station. Not finding one near me though so I don't know what I am going to do. Obviously, this is no way to drive a car, not knowing the status of gas. I wish Toyota would address this issue as I am reading so many other years are affected. I don't want to have to get rid of my car either. grrrrrrr

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Most fuel pump handles have multiple positions to allow filling at different speeds. Typically, when I fill up, I just lock it in position 1 or 2 and then check oil or clean my windshield while it's filling. These new pumps don't have that?

The metal lever directly below her knuckles can be pushed downward to lock into the ridged metal plate at the bottom to throttle flow at 3 different speeds.

pump handle.jpg

#22 TMR-JWAP, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    kenoarto likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    deleted due to being duplicate post

#22 TMR-JWAP, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new RAV4 (2019 2020) has a similar issue...that's one problem we did not get away from. We got a letter from Toyota that they are considering a future recall. Fuel tank does not want to totally fill up.

We can get 10 gal in there so 10x40 = 400 miles but we should be able to get 500 miles range.

cheetabump likes this.
  5. cheetabump

cheetabump Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

6. cheetabump

cheetabump Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have tried using this lock thing but the pump will stop. I have to hold it in a certain position to keep it flowing. BUT I will try again, but keep on holding it. I really haven't driven my car much due to retirement and Covid restrictions. However, yesterday, I saw it drop to the halfway point, so I reset the counter to zero. I was happy to catch it at that point. Today, I moved my car back and forth in my driveway (average length) to position it to wash it and it dropped a pip!! The counter still said zero, of course!! The other problem is not knowing exactly what is going on and how much gas it really has in it. I read that the gas gauge could be off if you don't put enough gas in. I am in a rock and hard place not knowing if it is reading too little or too much. I wanted to give this car to my son and get myself a new one but I can't possibly trust this for him as he drives more than I do and with my grandson in the car, it would be a safety hazard. I will try what you suggest and make a service call (needs inspection/oil change anyhow) and discuss options with them. Thanks for responding!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't you just pump slowly, without using the lock positions?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    did you say your son fixed this prob on his Prius, bisco?

@cheetabump you want to calibrate car for levelness. I could not do this process anymore on my Gen2 because the touch screen was not working either.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, toyota dealer fixed it on his rav4h. but they refused to tell him what they did.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I wasn't sure what vehicle...the service papers should itemize parts used. I now get 12.7 gals on fill-up vs. 9.7 before the fix...the 9.7 is when you just put the pump on the fast setting with no games. I could get more than 9.7 by pumping really really slow.. Not all RAV4HV had the issue, so they have to test it.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it was taking him quite awhile to fill up previously