1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. paphillyman

paphillyman Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2006 prius I got in march , I love the car but one thing Im trying to sort out is the gas guage. I already did disconnect the neg cable to the 12v battery to reset the computers and I did get 2 more "pips" showing when starting up the car , I also did recalibrate the gas guage , just dont think it was on level ground .
    Today I had 2 "pips" showing left on the gas guage , so I went to fill it up and it only took in 7.5 gal of gas , the most it ever took when filling up . It shows Im getting 45 mpg and took the neg cable off the battery yesterday , waited 5 min and put back on , usually I will wait til the guage has 2 or 3 "pips" left , put 5 gallons in and it shows a full tank. Any ideas??

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Best advice, don't worry about the gage. Just put fuel in it when you hit two pips and go on down the road. The bladder in the fuel tank shrinks and stretches as the ambient temperature changes.

I suggest you do the following when you fill up.

1. Use the same pump every time if possible.
    2. Before adding fuel, loosen gas cap 1/2 turn.
    3. Go inside and prepay for your fuel. If you use a credit card or debit card at the pump that is ok, but please follow the next step.
    4. After the gas cap has been loosened wait at least one minute before removing the cap. This allows the pressure inside the tank to equalize with outside pressure and also the bladder to relax. While waiting you should check the oil and fluids under the hood.
    5. When adding fuel, use the auto shut off on the nozzle. Use the SLOWEST speed setting available. When the pump clicks off, hang up the nozzle.
    6. After refueling, make certain that the cap is replaced and turned clockwise until it clicks.

It is not a good idea to top off, nor is it a good idea to try to add fuel once the auto shut off has clicked off.

Understand that due to the bladder your amount of fuel being added will vary from tank to tank due to temperature and other factors. It is normal for volume to vary also from pump to pump as not all pumps will shut off the same. During the winter time your tank will hold two to three gallons LESS than what it does during the summer.

Final tip: The gas gage on the Prius will NOT move unless you add more than three (3) gallons of fuel.

Gen III Prius doesn't have the bladder. Gen II was cursed with it.

Note: Since you attempted to recalibrate the gage, I suggest you do it again while the Prius is on LEVEL ground. Unhooking the battery does not recalibrate it. All that does is basically reset all the ECU's and wipe out some presets for the radio and the auto up on the driver's window. I am guessing you have researched how to recalibrate the gas gage and used that method.

Fuel Gauge Calibration Instructions | PriusChat

Hope this helps you! And best of luck to you!

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The most gas I've put in was 8.5 gallons after being on one pip for 30ish miles. You just have to accept that the Prius has a 1) small 12gal tank, 2) the bladder makes it even smaller, and 3) the "guess gauge" is very inaccurate. Fill up at 2 pips and it should never leave you stranded.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like ours, the most I have ever put in was 8.83 gallons and that was at one pip during the middle of summer. I have never put more in it than that, but also have never went down to the 'flashing pip". I don't want to experience the "running out of gas with a Prius"...