1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas in exhaust at cold start and pinging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jason43, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Jason43

Jason43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2009 with 150k stinks up the garage on cold start up with the fine scent of unburned gasoline and this has been going on for at least 2 months. Car starts fine and runs normally. There are no codes and the spark plugs look a little carbon fouled and insulator rust red covered in a slight coat. Warm starts have no odor, and my 2005 with 215k does not have this issue (uses same gas). I also have pinging that occurs on warm days with any acceleration, and premium gas makes it better but it does not go away completely. I use Top Tier and have treated the fuel system with Techron and Gumout Regane over many tanks and it makes no difference.

I don’t know if the two are related, but does anybody have an idea? I have searched the forums and have not connected with anything solid.

Thanks in advance!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe try cleaning the MAF sensor, but more likely a blocked/bad catalytic converter

#2 JC91006, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Tbkilb01 likes this.