1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas mileage and cold weather

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by JMalmsteen, Jan 6, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how does that compare to your '05?

don't feel too bad, i'm only getting 10 miles.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1. Today I got 19.5 miles on my fully charged, sub-freezing, cold soaked, traction battery.
    2. I still got 199.9 MPG on that charge because when the 'engine ON' event occurred, I safely, quickly stopped and restarted the car which defaults back to EV mode.
    There are several, previously poorly or undocumented actions that can trigger an 'engine ON' event. Search using 'engine ON' in this forum.

Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The 2017 still outperforms the 2007 as far as mpg. But, let's see if the 2017 is going strong at 500k like the 2007!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope i'm around for that!(y)

5. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, and I got barely 9 miles of EV range with my 2012 PIP, in 70°-85°F temperature! The HUGE difference is that the Prime gives the CAPABILITY of getting 35 miles of EV range, coupled with ridiculous overall fuel economy, under normal conditions. We just become unhappy when it's unable to sustain this terrific performance under extreme conditions!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Liz Waters and bisco like this.
  6. solaraman

solaraman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    My first winter with my prime here in western NY. My experience is under 10 degrees my battery will not charge and EV will not work. From 10 to 20 degrees battery charges and over 15 degrees will run in EV mode but range never exceeds 17 miles. Yes, i use seat warmer, heat and steering wheel heat. Not worth charging under 20 degrees. My garage is unheated. Sound normal or should I have a dealer look at it?

7. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Not charging bothers me.

In the manual it says not to charge below -22F. I don't think that your any where near that.

I vote see the dealer.

mercat68 likes this.
  8. Heikki Finland

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    It is still winter here in Finland..and this one has been coldest for last 8 years...❄️❄️ And now have good experience driving in all conditions up till - 20 F. My normal daily commute is only 4 - 5 miles a day, but couple of times in a week I drive up to 25 - 30 miles and couple of times a month longer road trips up to 150 miles.overall around 17 - 20.000 miles per year. Noticed that in winter times 30 - 50 % of battery energy goes to heating..no problems with heat in the car..very comfortable and warm car..obviously in the conditions between 20 - 10 F heat pump starts to loose its heating capabilities the car starts to be cold if you are not using ICE..noticed that 10 F is some sort of tricker when car automatically kicks ICE in even if you are driving in EV-mode..over all great winter car..

Attached Files: