1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas mileage at specific speeds

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Dead12VBattery, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Dead12VBattery

Dead12VBattery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been trying to measure gas mileage at specific speeds to get some idea of what the relationship between the two looks like (more or less quadratic I suppose, but the parameters would be interesting). However, it's hard for me to measure accurately due to wind and traffic conditions.

My estimate so far is based on the following conditions:
    • Temperature around 20 C (68 F)
    • Averaged between headwind and tailwind
    • No AC
    • Hybrid battery fully charged
    • Cruise control at the indicated speed on the speedometer
    • Actual speed measured using the trip meter (which is lower than the speedometer, and consistent with GPS speed measurements)
    • Fuel consumption measured using the trip meter
    • Measured over at least 2.0 km (1.2 mi) with almost no net height difference

My own results (again, probably inaccurate):
    • 90 km/h (56 mph); real speed: 84 km/h (53 mph); consumption: 3.5 l/100km (68 mpg)
    • 110 km/h (69 mph); real speed: 103 km/h (64 mph); consumption: 4.0 l/100km (59 mpg)
    • 120 km/h (75 mph); real speed: 113 km/h (71 mph); consumption: 4.5 l/100km (53 mpg)
    • 140 km/h (88 mph); real speed: 132 km/h (83 mph); consumption: 5.7 l/100km (42 mpg)

Has anyone else done this? If so, what are your results?

bisco likes this.
  2. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am wondering what tire size and tire pressure your Prius is running? It looks like your displayed speed vs real speed is more out of line than most of the American spec of 1.5 to 2 miles per hour different. Maybe it's EU regulations to display an even faster speed than American cars so drivers can slow down more?:eek: I think there were topics about this but I am at work so not the right time to do a search.:whistle:

Grit likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Those results are similar to mine with 15" tires 44psi on all 4s. If you drive at that temp on a regular basis, might as well grill block.

When I set cruise control on 55mph, and reset trip A, cons. speed is always 53mph. Techstream says 53mph also when cruise control is 55mph.

4. Dead12VBattery

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's pretty normal here for the deviation the be about 7%, though supposedly it's getting smaller in newer cars. From what I've read, the manufacturer must guarantee that the displayed speed is never below the actual speed, regardless of conditions, so they add a large margin.

Note that the fact that the trip meter is accurate shows that the car does actually know how fast it's going.

RMB likes this.
  5. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RMB and Dead12VBattery like this.
  6. Dead12VBattery

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Kevin_Denver! Exactly what I was looking for. Seems pretty consistent with my own measurements too.

Amazing fuel efficiency at low speeds BTW, I guess the serial hybrid design really pays off.

RMB likes this.