1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Mileage, exceedng EPA estimates?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Kaibz, Apr 14, 2008.

1. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Having had our Prius for 3 1/2 years and the TCH for almost two I can say that the Prius easily gets 47-48 winter and 50-52 summer in around town driving without using P & G. The TCH gets 37-38 winter and 40 in the summer around town and having taken long road trips in it has achieved 44 on the highway with no special driving techniques. I drive it at the posted speeds and have typically set the cruise control at 70 and the mileage just hangs between 42 and 44 on the highway. For a car as quiet as the Camry Hybrid, it cannot be beat by much other than a VW Diesel and that not by much and the far higher cost of the diesel fuel lately negates its advantage.

The TCH will run on battery power at higher speeds than the Prius and I have driven nearly 1.5 miles on electric power at speeds up to 40 on level roads. This does require a feather touch on the accelerator to prevent the engine from firing up, but far easier to achieve than in the Prius.

I'm a big fan of both cars and would not give either one up.

2. acdii

acdii Active Member

Sounds like what I got, my only real problem I had with the Prius was lack of room. I have 3 kids, two in car seats, so there just wasn't enough room in the Prius. My TCH is great, when I can get it under 42 MPH I try to keep it on battery as much as possible, and I am seeing 38.5 for lifetime so far, 10K on it since I got it in April. I also see 43-45 MPG on the highway, no special driving techniques.

On a side note, I rented a Prius last month in San Jose(looked like a freaking prius convention), and I didnt like the display, it was an early 08 I believe, the MFD was different than my 07 had. It seemed peppeir, but didnt get as good milage that mine did, I barely got it to 50 on the highway, and the overall milage while I had it was just under 42, while I normally averaged 48+ in that kind of weather and driving conditions, sometimes I even acheived 53 MPG.

3. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife has a TCH, does not know how to drive it and the overall mpg is only 33...mixed driving

4. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm getting above EPA and CR estimates, and I'm an average driver. I'm getting 45 mpg in the winter and 50 mpg in the summer so far, in mixed driving--lots of short trips. On the highway, I do a bit better. Last summer, I got 60 mpg on a 150 mile highway trip. More typically, 55 mpg. Wind is a factor on highway trips. I try to keep my OE tires at 38/36 psi.

5. acdii

acdii Active Member

Long term update, after 28200 miles, my average tank is coming out to 39 MPG. My highway is about 50 MPG. If it wasn't for all the stops and turns I have to take to get to work each day, I could easily see 42 MPG for my daily drive. When I go home, I can take a more leisurely route home with fewer stops and a more steady speed and I see 42 MPG consistently. Not bad for a Family sedan rated at only 34 MPG tops. Cant wait to see what I can get in a Ford Fusion Hybrid, some day I hope to have one.