1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas mileage - HELP!!! 38.3 MPG, what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by lonewolf69, Aug 10, 2010.

1. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never noticed a big different between ECO and NORMAL mode. So I drive the most often with NORMAL mode. I like this last because the car reacts more promptly than with ECO mode.
    Best regards from Belgium.

2. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @ABL/Jim - Thanks for this, in a world of prius forum where a lot of folks are getting 50+ MPG and some even 60+ MPG and better, I was thinking that I was the ONLY one getting 40MPG... I'm still hoping to see the MPG improve but if it doesn't I'll know my PRIUS isn't defective... :) Thx!

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This falls under the heading 'managing user expectations.' This chart gives an idea:
    [​IMG]
    For most hybrids, there is a 'knee in the curve' between 40-45 MPG. In the case of our ZVW30 Prius, it seems a little higher, closer to 44 MPG. It doesn't mean a Prius getting less than 43 MPG is broken but rather we need to understand what is going:

• vehicle health - these are the mph vs MPG and hill-climb benchmarks for our ZVW30 on the drive from the dealer provide.
    • environmental - there are ways to drive a Prius that drives the mileage down: short trips, high speed and A/C.
    • behavior - leaving the car on over night (guilty), leaving the dogs in the car with A/C running (guilty), driving in "B" instead of "D" (guilty), accelerating to pass traffic going up a hill (no guilty, yet) . . .
    Good mileage comes from the AND of these elements and one can often drive the MPG down. But sometimes, folks have to live with what they've got.

Bob Wilson

ps. About the chart:

The goal of the chart is to have the middle value of each set of vehicles lie on 100 point, X-axis value. The X-axis 0 will be the lowest for all vehicles and 200 the highest. Thus the X-axis resembles the IQ scale where 100 is normal. The Y-axis is the each vehicle's MPG.

I had noticed the average MPG for the NHW11, NHW20, ZVW30 and Insight fell between 45-50 MPG. But averages do not tell us anything about the distribution of mileage. We often learn more from the outliers than the averages.

Since the median MPG appeared to be ~47.5 MPG, I choose the inner rectangle to lie on 5 MPG boundaries that appeared to encompass the linear part of each line. As far as I'm concerned, anyone on the linear part is getting expected MPG.

The outer rectangle fits on the next 5 MPG boundary and identifies where there may be something going on that begs diagnosis. As for anyone outside of the outer rectangle, outliers, God and sparrows comes to mind . . . on both ends.

2 people like this.
  4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob, would you point us toward a good explanation of the x axis 100th value method of constructing a data axis? I see what it is doing and like the data presentation and might want to use it myself in the future. I am just not sure how you get there.

What are the two colored rectangles on the chart? They eyeball about right to be 1st and 2nd standard deviations, except they conveniently coincide with the 5mpg lines?

XS

5. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1
    Yes Bob, please do explain the two rectangles and the X- AXIS is used for? The chart clearly shows the Y AXIS as the MPG unfortunately the X AXIS is so clearly marked.

Also, in my defense, I'm no longer going to consider the car "defective" per se, but I did fall for the hype that the car was going to give 50mpg as advertised, on my very 1st initial tank. Judging by my post and many others I'd say, it's clearly wide spread. I'm glad this forum is around to help educate every new and potential Prius owner...

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Added a "ps" about the graph to the posting.

Bob Wilson

7. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Bob, sorry but what does PS stand for? :confused: Sorry for being so dense, I'm sure others will pick it right up... Also what do the boxes mean...?

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just clocked 160 mi / 3 gallons for 56 MPG. Never gotten under 50 so far. 38fr/36rear.

something's way off for 38 MPG's.

9. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    PS stands for postscript. It means some writing that is added after the fact to an existing writing, initially it meant after the first writing had been signed, but it now seems to mean anything that is added after the initial writing.

The boxes are the way that prior posts are quoted in a reply post by the software used by this site.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found the trick for analyzing Bob's charts: I squint my eyes, look at the chart, and go "Ooohhh, pretty colors!"

Tom

11. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wilson is probably going to kill me for commenting on this. But, hey, I am an engineer, and it took me a couple of shots to figure out what was going on!

For each kind of car, Bob figured out what the median was for the data set of reported gas mileages. Definition of median (most people here know, but what the heck): half of the reported MPG values for the (say) 2010 Prius are higher than the median; half of the reported values are less than the median.

Once he's got that, he divides each individual reported MPG value by the median, then multiplies by 100. That's the X-axis value; the Y axis value is the actual MPG for that sample. Plot everything for the 2010 Prius; then rinse, lather, repeat for all the other cars.

A particular report will be on the left side and high if a driver is a hypermiler in good standing; on the right side and low if a driver has a lead foot and wants to win the Indy 500. On the other hand, really low values might be due to something odd going on. 38.3 is on the low side, but we've had posters who (this one sticks in my mind) had their wives drive, and the wife got 10 MPG better.

Ha. YMMV.

KBeck.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct although I would add one bit of insight. If someone's mileage falls in the linear part, don't sweat it. A good part of mileage is the environment and typical usage. Some folks live in Prius-sweet times and places. Others live in Prius-hell. But if your mileage falls in the linear part, don't sweat it.

Bob Wilson

13. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bob, KBeck,

Thanks for the explaination! Your chart really puts things into perspective! I didn't realize that you had edited your post with the chart. Reading all of the subsequent replies, I now understand the chart. I'm sure that eventually my Mileage will eventually improve but I'm not sure by how much due to my commute (8 ~ 10 miles ) each way and short weekend trips... I seriously doubt I'm ever going to see some of the jaw dropping mpg values of 60+...

thanks for helping me to understand and "manage" my expectations of my new Prius, I still love this car dearly!!! :D

14. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We took delivery on 31 July, both trip meters read in the 30 mpg range. It was delivered with a full tank (or so they claimed) and had 10 miles on the odometer. I immediately reset the Trip A display and it's been showing in the high 40's ever since. The Trip B, (Which I normally use to monitor miles between oil changes) still shows much lower than Trip A. I topped off the tank yesterday because gas prices dipped to $2.39 a gallon, reset Trip A, and it's showing mid 50's today. My suggestion is to just reset Trip A when you fill up and see what happens, I'm betting you'll see a marked improvement. I believe the dealer probably has these things sitting idling as they do the PMI, so that probably really skews the MPG reading.

15. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dear All,

2nd tank of gas one BLINKING last PIP on the fuel guage - 9.6 gallons - 445mile = 46mpg... Thanks to you all for helping keep my head straight and not to panic! :) Far far cry from the 38.6 I was getting.

Strategy:
    Driving conservatively not being rogue. Cruise contol helped out quite a bit...

Thanks for all the advice!

2 people like this.
  16. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad to hear that your expectations are closer to being met. It will get better as the car "breaks in". You'll see some great mileage in the Fall when the temps are cooler, but not cold.

Now the cold temps will be another thing entirely. Expect pretty awful mileage. If you can get an engine block heater (and have a place to plug in), this will alleviate some of the hit. There is also a thread on grill blocking, you'll want to take a look at that as well in preparation for the winter months.

Enjoy!

17. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Cody,

Keeping it in the garage isn't enough? My garage is attached to the house and I have a few shelves setup as a pantry in there, for staples like bottled water, apple juice, etc... All winter long the juices and water are fine without freezing. Do I need a heater still?

18. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's better than mine gets, it gets parked on the street. I don't know how cold your place gets in NY, but I heard that it does get a little chilly in New York in the winter time ;).

Typically, around Nov the posts start trickling in about lower MPG's and is there something wrong with my car. Happens every year. I was just trying to give you a heads up as to what will likely start happening in a few months time.

Your car will be fine.

19. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Need? Nobody needs the EBH. Some people prefer the expense (both initial installation and the operating costs for electricity) to reduce winter's drop in fuel economy. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you; I'd probably just deal with it, myself. Of course, I'd probably be riding my bike and not driving, anyway.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To be a strongly competitive hypermiler, you need the heater all year round -- yes, even in the middle of summer, as sweltering summer heat is still far below engine operating temperature.

But for most drivers not competing for high MPG score or not living with very harsh winters, its value is not compelling.