1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Mileage this tank 37mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Greg Kaiser, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Greg Kaiser

Greg Kaiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure if I got a bad tank of gas but I am at 37 mpg on this tank. Used about 2/3 tanks so far
    Recently changed Oil, Engine Air Filter, PCV Valve, Trans axle Fluid and Inverter Coolant
    I also put in a few ounces of Lucas Injector Cleaner....(n)

Normally I get 42-44 I'm a bit of a lead foot at lights

UPDATE: Now back down to 44.7mpg I assume it is due to the heat. I got 50+ at night here in the desert and averaged 60mph on highways with some slight hills

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    certainly the injector fluid seems suspect, maybe it will take some time to clear it all out. someone else mentioned bad gas at bp. is the oil at or below the full mark?

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How much oil is showing on the dip stick, how many miles on the car.
    Have you cleaned the MAF sensor and what are your tyre pressures, have you changed tyres.

John.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've found my Prius to be way too sensitive to a bad tank of gas... MPG plummets on the two rare occasions that's happened. I suspect overuse of Ethanol beyond 10% in both cases, but can't say for certain.

Consider this a great opportunity to take better care of your car!

Some more ideas: I once got really bad gas mileage when I was new to the car because I added a 1/2 quart of oil (to be safe) even though the car didn't need it.

Like our computers at home sometimes a good old fashion reboot of the computer makes a difference. As in unplug the 12volt battery for 10 minutes... Have you changed your air fllter yet? Also ow-20 synthetic oil helps a little bit? Over-inflate your tires... See if gas mileage improves without using air conditioner / get AC service if needed. Make sure tires rotate easily when car is jacked up. Replace 12 battery if less than 12.3 volt available when car is off or in acc/inspection mode.

Most of all learn the joy of getting your gas mileage up above 50mpg... Study up on pulse and glide in the city, pulse and stealth mode on the freeway, and just generally enjoy driving safer and slower, especially if no one impatient is following you!

Lots of other things to consider but this is a start!

5. Greg Kaiser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks for all the suggestions to everyone. I am so happy now I am getting mileage I have never seen with this car. I bought it used Oct 2010 with 42k miles and never got over 50mpg I filled the car with fresh gas from shell took a 70 + mile trip and now am getting over 50mpg See Pic

Attached Files:

6. Greg Kaiser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Attached Files:

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good to see a simple and fruit full outcome.

John.

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like there's gonna be one less lead-footed driver on the road! Good job PriusChat members!!!