1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gas price discussion thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Feb 17, 2011.

1. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am so happy to have my Prius!

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=14285009

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - There is still no relief at the pump. We are the only state in the country averaging more than $4.00 per gallon, according to AAA.

A gallon of regular unleaded gas in Honolulu is up 12 cents from the week of March 7th, to $4.01.

Hilo is up six cents, to $4.11, and Wailuku is up seven cents, to $4.30.

Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That article displeases me.

Or they are mostly net exporters of oil.
    Or they are doing it because they just want taxes.

Saying it's cheap here because others are expensive is like me telling my wife I'm not overweight because look at the neighbor he's 350 lbs. It doesn't change the state of my belly :0

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We're apparently having a shortage and big jump in the spot price of gasoline in CA. Some places are shutting off their pumps when they run out of fuel as they don't want to buy more at these sharply elevated prices.

California Gas Stations Shut as Oil Refiners Ration Supplies - Bloomberg
    California gas prices spike 8 cents a gallon overnight; analysts cite supply issues - The Washington Post
    Gas prices suddenly skyrocket in California - latimes.com

Earlier today, I passed a gas station that's normally fairly cheap here in San Jose and saw premium at $4.79 gal. I passed one that's normally on the expensive side and saw premium at $4.83/gal. I did see some that were ~$0.30-0.40/gal cheaper on the same street. I wonder when that price delta will vanish.

Local news is showing a Uni 76 gas station on 1st and Brokaw (in San Jose) at $4.85/gal for regular and $5.13 for premium along w/a Cupertino gas station at $5.39/gal for regular and $5.59/gal for premium.

The latter prices are similar to what Canadians pay now.

At least they didn't interview SUV drivers. One was a Prius driver who didn't plan well and just needed enough to get home. Another was driving an older Accord.

Fortunately, I have a nearly full tank as I topped off a few days ago.

5. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Michigan, I saw a station on my morning commute at $3.71 cash for regular.

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I run my Ford F150 on CNG and less than $1.00 per/gal home refueling.

Unfortunately, last night I drove head on into the overnight gas hike when I had to fill my Highlander.

I sorta miss that tiny 10-11 gallon fill-up on my Prius.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    on that same note regarding California high prices I have more people asking about the particulars of our all electric car

SGH-I717R ? 2

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I spent the latter half of September traveling in Canada, and that is slightly higher than the highest price I saw in remote BC. Jasper, with the highest price reported in all of Alberta, was only US$5.05/gallon.

Despite different formulations, this California spike is spilling over up here too, though to a smaller degree. Since it began, average prices are about $0.07 in Oregon, $0.05 in Washington, and $0.20/gal in British Columbia. The Vancouver area appears hit particularly hard, up $0.35.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Klamath California - $5.02 for premium ... welcome to California. Enjoy the cheap gas while you can. When things heat up again in the Middle East, and they shut down the straights of Hormuze - we'll look back and call these the good ol days and talk about back when gas was only $5.

SGH-I717R ? 2

10. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ^ True, so true. :(

11. goddess prii

goddess prii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    gas in Suwanee,GA $3.43 still glad I bought a Prius!:cool:

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. It is just annoying/shocking how drivers of guzzlers (the battering ram of death class SUVs usually driven solo or w/minimal cargo and passengers) don't seem to realize the geopolitical situation as it relates to oil. It's even worse to see those BRODs in long drive thru lines. Assuming the business' lobby is open, they can't be bothered to park and go inside the business?

13. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I drive a BROD "battering ram of death" class vehicle, its cheaper (Cali) and cleaner than my old Prius. My Ford F150 runs on CNG, the money stays here to give American's jobs and keep money away from the Middle East. The technology is already established, its made in America and part of it's infrastructure is already in place. It also pulls my 3500 lb bass boat which my Prius couldn't.

[​IMG]

So there . . . :p

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Unfortunately, the vast majority of the BRODs are gasoline burning full-sized SUVs (e.g. Tahoes, Escalades, Yukons, Suburbans, Expeditions). Sometimes, they're the extended length versions (e.g. Escalade ESV, Yukon XL, extended length Expedition, etc.). Sometimes I see uber-monstrosities running around. I see Hummer H2s fairly often :( along w/the occasional Ford Excretion (aka Exxon Valdez). The # of Navigators seems to have died down though.

I see VERY few CNG powered vehicles, esp. being driven by the general public/consumers. I do see a few Civic GXs/NGVs, but that about it.

15. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    True, so with that said why aren't we pushing our Gov into investing money in this proven technology? Instead we push, cheer and commend them when they speculate in unproven technologies or send out investment money across the oceans to enrich other countries some of which are none to friendly to us?

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks too small, with too much actual cargo, to be a real BROD.

17. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    LoL!

It is so!!! :cautious:

It's the F150 1/2 ton Heavy Duty '7700' weighs 5500 lbs and just gets 20mpg if I use all my Prius skills driving it. I've really enjoyed it, maybe even more than my Prius. It has no where near the creature comforts or electronic bling the Prius was festooned with but it tows the bass boat and well that's important. Wish I could have kept the Prius sure was easy getting around town. LoL!

BTW: The coolest thing? It has an all vinyl interior, go to the car wash, spray clean inside and out, drip dry, and all done.... (y)

p.s.: cwerdna . . . extended length BROD's? Mine is 50' long when it's hooked up. :eek:

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that the fundamental problem is that NG is used and increasinly used for heating, electricity generation and in petrochemical industries. Encouraging the use of NG for transportation would add price pressures. Given that NG's value for transportation isn't that great, it makes sense that there would be a reluctance to push it.

Also, the other major economies are all natural gas importers. So you aren't going to get the global development effort that you see with PEVs.

19. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ typically the county with the highest gas prices in the 48-states reported on GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

20. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since 1973, we have had six recessions? Energy prices spiked without fail before each one.

We have made progress in being more energy-efficient with plenty of screaming and kicking along the way.

Do you want to imagine our economy our cars averaged 14 mpg like 1973, etc?

Individually and corporately, we have to use energy like Jack Benny did money - there is no silver bullet.