1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Price Is Dropping Fast!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Aug 8, 2008.

1. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    $3.69 for regular and I am not complaining at all.

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Well aren't we easily appeased. I'll bet you were complaining a lot when it hit $3.50 on it's way up. Suddenly $3.69 looks cheap? Hopefully the rest of the world doesn't share your sentiment because if they do, then we're all screwed as demand will pick right back up and oil will shoot up to $200 / barrel as sub $4 gasoline is making everyone happy.

3. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will be thankful that gas hits $3.69 if it does, if only to give a little breather to those not fortunate enough to be able to buy a Prius like me (whether because they didn't have the money, or the foresight, or whatever). Demand was already dropping at $3.50 a gallon, so I think we have a ways to go.

I could be wrong but I've heard an awful lot of people say that it's not the price of gasoline they object to, it's the way the price has been manipulated. I think a lot of people will reject the temptation to go back to their old ways, believing prices could easily go even higher next year (which is probably true).

4. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think you're giving people too much credit. There are piles of dirt cheap SUV's sitting on dealer lots. At fire sale prices they'll entice a lot of people. I personally would like to see the government set a $4.00 floor on the price of gas for at least two years. We can't keep sending $$$ to our enemies and expect it to have a salutary outcome. :(

5. CEO Alex

CEO Alex Done

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just filled at 4.52 :eek:

6. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Perhaps. I know a lot of people, however, who say even though they can afford $4 a gallon gas, they're mad about the price manipulation. And a lot who say $5 a gallon gas is coming next year regardless. Both statements worked for me when I decided to get a Prius.

No doubt a lot of folks will buy the SUVs and the like on dealers' lots. Hopefully, they will buy them because they really need them for business purposes, or because they want to get one before they get really hard to get (so they can pull their RV trailer or boat, etc).

I would note, I still have one of those SUVs (7 years old), because I don't really trust my Prius when the snow flies here in Denver. There are still going to be days I drive it to and from work (at $4 each way with $3.50 gas) because I don't want to get high-centered or get it crunched. Hopefully in 3 or 4 years when I can afford another new vehicle, there will be a lot more options for those who need all-weather vehicles (the Highland Hybrid is nice but a bit more pricey than I want) and want good gas mileage and low emissions.

7. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, that stinks. There's some stations over here in AZ (according to a site that tracks this) that there's regular unleaded for $3.50...although most stations I've seen are still in the high 3.6x range.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was actually contemplating buying a bigger truck at some point to pull our camping trailer (I have a Ford Explorer). I'm thinking they will get really cheap when gas hits $5 and diesel hits $6. But my GF ruined my plans by buying a Class A motorhome instead. You can get a great deal on a motorhome now, either a used one that someone can't keep (that is what my GF did), or from a dealer who is going out of business. Try to avoid the manufacturers who are going bankrupt (or have already). That will make it harder to get replacement parts. :madgrin:

9. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a trailer but have been wanting a Class A... I just couldn't imagine putting several hundred $$ into the tank when I filled up. Ouch. :( The 35 gallon tank in my diesel pickup is bad enough. :mad:

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have no idea what the mpg is because we have never spent enough at one time to fill the tank (75 gal). We went on a two week trip to Oregon last month and spent over $800 for fuel. Enough to run the Prius for at least 7 or 8 months. :dizzy:

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow! Even the rip-off places in the Bay Area are way cheaper than that. I just filled up my Lexus with the middle grade of $3.99 in Fremont, CA.

12. tlaine

tlaine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    price in Mckinney Texas is $3.52 for regular at certain stations earlier this evening