1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas prices dropping - will the demand wane?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tom.from.PA, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got the courtesy call from the salesperson today after taking delivery of ours on Saturday. I mentioned to him that my wife and I have already talked about adding a second one to the family and thought we better get on the list now. His response was that they are already seeing a drop in demand and we could probably have another one in a month or so. Our fuel prices in Central VA have dropped to less than $3.65 a gallon. I have to agree with many of you -- it doesn't take long for people to forget those $4 days, but they will be back soon enough.

2. Bob47

Bob47 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As usual, simplistic science lessons tend to reflect on the ignorance of the professor. As for the crack we think we need to survive, well then I assume you grow all of your own food naturally (that is without motorized equipment or produced fertilizers with you own gathered seeds), extract the water you need from your own well by hand, compost your human waste, read by candlelight, travel by foot, etc. Oh wait - you drive? Use a computer? I'll bet you even have plastics in your home! :D

3. ZippyPri

ZippyPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Criticizing the only people that understand the real issues will not get us as a people very far...I didn't feel the need to go further into the subject...its sad that even an intelligent person (or maybe just some smartass who read national geographics green guide once) still finds the need to put down others that are actually attempting to make a difference in their own personal lives.I in fact do many of these things that you have said and you can call me what you wish, I believe I am doing the right thing.

btw, good to see you live in a nice liberal state where there are a lot of advancements with respect to how we interact with our own environment...doesnt feel good to be criticized when I don't even know you, does it.

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Texas is liberal? Not likely! Boston on the other hand.........

5. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The demand will wane, if for no other reason, inertia. As gas prices come down, the panic will subside, people will have adjusted to the prices and grown accustomed to them. They won't feel as compelled to get up, go to a dealership, haggle, stress etc. They'll just "deal with it". Not all, but most will likely go this route....

Still, a number of people have gotten away from their SUV's and gotten a more fuel efficient car and that helps. More are taking mass transit, and that helps.

But, I fear, like many, that a lot of people will continue to drive too fast in vehicles not ideally suited for their needs. For many maybe it meets their desires but definitely not their needs.

6. ZippyPri

ZippyPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Haha I was using sarcasm to convey my point. ;)

7. Bob47

Bob47 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My point was simply that your pompous statements regarding carbon in the atmosphere were simply wrong. With respect to your statement regarding addiction to fossil fuels - certainly we are addicted; however, the reality is that civilization as we know it could not survive without it until alternatives are developed and the infrastructure to support such alternatives is in place.

Your ignorance shows further when you cast aspersions on Texas because it is considered a conservative state politically, but happens to lead the US in the production of power using wind and is currently developing natural gas as a replacement fuel that burns more cleanly than gasoline or diesel.

I note you are from Boston, home of the largest, and most wasteful public works project on record. Isn't that also the state where a wind energy project was blocked because it would interfere with some liberal's view?

If you really took the time to read my initial post you would have understood that I was attempting to answer the OP's question and identify the true context of the issue. Your pompous, egotistical, and inaccurate reply is the reason that those of your ilk can never solve a problem, only complain about your ideology driven perception of a problem.

8. ZippyPri

ZippyPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Go hop along and jump in your guzzling motorhome!:D

9. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "Your pompous, egotistical, and inaccurate reply is the reason that those of your ilk can never solve a problem, only complain about your ideology driven perception of a problem."

Wow! That's just what I was thinking after reading Zippy's post(s). Well written.

10. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We, in the Boston (beantown) area have no with gas issues - we just eat more beans.:D:D:D

On the topics of gas prices - keep an eye on Iran. If a move is made to block the Strait of Hormuz, watch gas prices go thru the roof.

Dbcassidy

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i for one, besides missing my 100% salary increase, am actually making about 25% less now.

and ya, some will start driving more under the lame perception that they are now saving money, but as far as lessening Prius demand, i have 4 people at work on waiting lists (one to pick his up at any time...being saying that for over a month, but he actually got his VIN last thurs so i guess its happening) and all said that gas has to be $2 something before they would consider the change and the guy who is getting his this week already has an 05 and he doesnt care what gas drops to, he has a 60 mile RT commute and he will save 50-75% of his gas bill no matter what.

so expect the Pri waiting list to be just as long and also expect our consumption to rise a bit as well....

for those who had not heard... another tidbit to toss in

Alaska's Waters Quietly Reopen To Drilling - Forbes.com

ever watch that show "Most Dangerous Catch" about alaska crab fisherman... you see the weather they put up with?? with this we might see oil derricks in the background?? trying to survive the worst weather in the northern hemisphere for what?? oil that would last us 3 years??

wow...

12. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If gas does go down to $2, that just means it'll cost me $10 to fill up haha

13. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "trying to survive the worst weather in the northern hemisphere for what?? oil that would last us 3 years??

wow..."

true, this should only be done to fill our demand for crab cakes.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    granted, crab boats do have diesel on them, but the risk of a major ecological disaster in the middle of the richest environment on Earth is not nearly as large as humongous tankers loading up at one of these derricks...

15. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I meant guys dying for it

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    a monumental personal choice no doubt, but that is what people do for the most part... that is die exercising personal choices.

17. Mauibound

Mauibound New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The US economy is walking such a fine line right now between a typical recession, and something worse, that for all of our benefit (at least those in the US) I hope that gas prices get back down to reasonable levels. That would be a major weight lifted off the shoulders of the economy and the average joe. Unfortunately, it seems that the reality of the geopolitical landscape right now means that the volatility will only continue, and that prices will still remain too high. (And anything over $3.00/gl is too high in my opinion.)

Would that effect the demand for a Prius? Probably. We've already seen one short period of time where there were no waiting lists and Toyota was actually starting to offer some incentives.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok...well i hope "reasonable" gas prices comes to our part of the country as well

19. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Even if gas were to come down to $1.50 I believe my ways have been changed forever. I've proven to myself and my wife that with two kids we can comfortably go on a road trip in the Prius. We're not planning on having more kids, so I think we're set. Even when the kids get older, we'll still fit as even though their luggage will be larger, we'll no longer have the double stroller so we'll still fit.

I will continue to own a full-size truck regardless of what happens with fuel prices. I only drive it on occasion now when I need to haul something or pull a large trailer. I don't think I've driven it for 6 weeks and before that it was at least a couple of months but it's nice having it for those occasional uses. In addition I'll probably continue to own a car that has waaay too much horsepower for that occasional Sunday drive. Again, I only drive the one I have probably every 2-3 weeks for maybe 10 or 15 miles... but it's fun to have.

20. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I lived in TX, had fiends loose fingers and what not. dito mingolia