1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas prices dropping - will the demand wane?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tom.from.PA, Aug 2, 2008.

1. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Both my wife and I keep the F250 truck at home and is used for hauling / towing camper and m/c trailer. It is also handy for going to the lumber or local nursery for lumber, mulch, loam pickups.

It is paid for, runs great, and we would take a beating on trading it.

The Prius is the daily driver for work, food shoppnig and weekend commutes to the mtns.

Dbcassiddy

2. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now they are talking oil < $100 per. Saudi output @ 9.5 to 10mil now, then 12.5mil next spring. 30% Iranian oil tied up in floated storage. Iraqi oil output increasing daily. Turkish oil pipeline burns 8.8.08 and prices begin to climb again.

Out going Israeli leader could pull trigger to offset tarnished image. US drawn into conflict so Bush can save face too! Oil is back to 150-200 (won't need Irans oil for a spell, it will go to them selves & China after the rebuild) China can have all of Korea too!

All very plausable

People looking to get a more fuel efficient vehicle will always be in the market for vehicles as long as gas is over $3 per gallon (which is here to stay!) and wages remain stagnate.The trick is to develop roomy no frills affordable vehicles for the masses. They will be out there.

Will people continue to buy the Prius? Those who can afford it. Once that market is captured, then yes, sales could wane. Unless Toyota can improve Gen III, to include, (I know people are going to flog me for this) Yes a bigger engine (to pull the hills), better battery with longer life, slightly bigger cabin space for those 6'ers, better seating and last but not least variable all wheel traction control for non slip.

This will be a smidge bit longer, wider to accommodate all the above while maintaining a good fuel efficient vehicle around $30K. If this can be accomplished, then people can afford them and poeple lower down the income scale can afford the used ones.

People don't remember why the VW came about in the first place! Germany found it's self right about where we are at today. (Where is the resident witch when ya need one?!)

3. lwnboy

lwnboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Same here although mine's a Tacoma. Thought about selling it but the Prius is my first car and I'm not sure I can do without a truck.

4. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hate to say it, Looking at trading the 07 van for a 4 door truck for hauling and pulling.