1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Prices Push Some To Torch Their SUVs

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Subversive, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Subversive

Subversive New Member

2. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

For some, it may be that trading in the vehicle is not a finacially viable option.

If you were upside down on payments on something that has plummeting value, trading it in would only make the financial situation worse.

3. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A trade will look better when compared to getting 3 squares and a cot for a few years and nothing from the insurance company.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh you hear this crap on the radio all the time about some dealership paying off your vehicle if you buy from them. at least around here you do...

i don't know what kind of details are involved there, but there are other options to burning your vehicle... :rolleyes:

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I think this is a good example of "sensationalism". That sort of thing is by no means confined to SUV's...

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Don't know if this is happening elsewhere in the country, but I just got back from filling up at $1.99 / gallon. There were 3 gas stations in the general area with this price.

After Katrina, prices had spiked to a solid $3.50 in most of the state (with panic buying and gouging in the $5-$7 range on Wednesday after Katrina)

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Yeah, I noticed that last night... A couple of cheap-o stations I drive by on my way back from work were at $1.96... a whole .15 cents or so lower than the previous day...

I suspect the "inquiry" had something to do with it...

:ph34r:

8. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I forgot to mention that I don't condone that kind of behavior, just think the reasoning to torch the vehicle is financial and not the way it was presented...as in, they were torching their vehicles because they were SUV's.

People have been doing this for years.