1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gas prices!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by orracle, Jul 11, 2007.

1. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Up from 2.65 to 2.79 in my area, but it's just an example of oil companies manipulating the market, using any pretext to explain rapid rises then letting prices drift a little downward to 'readjust' public perception about 'reasonable' fuel costs.

Not long ago at all, $2 a gallon for regular would have been considered outrageous, but over time, cynical manipulation of the market by oil companies who have friends in high places have made us all think it would be wonderfully cheap.

We are much better off in the US than those in Europe who have been exploited by oil companies for much longer!

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    $2.95 Monday night at Costco, Azusa, CA.

$2.95 Monday night at Costco, Azusa, CA.

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Woke up to gas prices in Toronto increased 3 or 4 cents this morning to $1.06 per liter. Given that Canuck bucks are almost on par with the Yankee dollar now, that is about C$4/gallon or ~ US$3.80!

To top it off, Toronto is one of the "cheaper" parts of Canada... Vancouver is much worse...

4. bigboy

bigboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Jul 11 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]476755[/snapback]</div>
    supposidly a refinery in Kansas flooded last weekend...thats the latest excuse....hmm..

5. redbug

redbug New Member

went from $2.82 Sunday to $3.05 this AM and latest is $3.19 at 6pm this evening.

Ada. OK (South Central Oklahoma)

we have 2 refineries within just over an hours drive:

Total in Ardmore approx 75-80 miles and

one in Wynnewood approx 50 miles away (had a fire within the last 2-3 months)

and gas is still usually 25 cents +++ higher than all of North Texas and large parts of OK...

6. jim0266

jim0266 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In Northeast Ohio it went from $2.85 to $3.19 over night.

7. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Jul 11 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]477049[/snapback]</div>

Yes but the majority of their cars get 40+ Mpg, usually much more. I'm sure this incidence of mpg is directly proportionate to the consumer outrage of the price of fuel. If only we could catch up. They think the Prius is a piece of crap and a step down from their middle of the road car that gets 55 mpg, non-hybrid version.

Face it we are just far behind the times. As far as the gas prices going up, I think it has to do with Bush's bowel movement. I heard something about it on CNN.

8. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Jul 11 2007, 09:46 PM) [snapback]477049[/snapback]</div>
    At the current Euro/Dollar rate, I pay about $7.30 per US gallon. About half that is tax, so it's not only the oil companies that profit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJGreen @ Jul 12 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]477376[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe diesels get that kind of mileage, but the only petrol, ehm, gasoline car that matches the Prius is a two-seater Smart. Pollution by diesels is a big problem here. So they get taxed heavier, and Prii get a tax break. Even with diesel fuel costing a lot less than gasoline, Prii are quite popular here. Not to mention that it's impossible to find an economical alternative with an automatic transmission (VW DSG comes to mind, but they're expensive).

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    prices are holding steady here, last i checked. i admit i didn't pass any gas stations this morning.

we always avoid filling up while near the bigger cities, especially chicago. heck, we avoid driving in bigger cities unless it's the middle of the night!

10. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I would prefer if the US / Can governments would STOP subsidizing the oil industry, and then the price at the pump would go way up.

Rather than paying subsidies with my income tax, I'll pay it at pump on usage.