1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Pump does not want to pump gas and spills out gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ToyotaGal, Jun 8, 2020.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It might stay resolved even longer if you discontinue the topping-it-off practice.

I understand how it could have been frustrating when the ORVR system wasn't working right, and you were doing whatever it took to get some fuel in the car.

But that's why the best advice when that isn't working right and you can't trust it, is get it working right, and after that, trust it. When it stops, it stops, you pay and you're done.

In cars with hundreds of dollars of EVAP and ORVR hardware down there ... "topping off" = "really not a thing".

2. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad I read this. I top off the gas tank at almost every fill up, but I will stop

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And the future happiness of the universe goes up by one person. (y)

nemebean and nancytheprius like this.
  4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes I never really top off either. But good to read and understand that the check valve just at the top of the fuel filler neck was bad. Hopefully that is not to difficult of a DIY Job. Sounds like the culprit may have been dirt that worked its way in. I never pressure wash around my fuel filler neck and just clean it off with a wet rag. I figure if I don't force dirt into places with high pressure it is better for the car and my wallet.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is a good place to note that the story in this thread did not end here.

The original poster in this thread more than once mentioned a habit of topping off, and more than once was advised to lose that habit, especially after having the repairs made in this thread, so it would stay fixed. And the OP did report (#39 in this thread), "I am confident to say the the problem is resolved."

However, continuing with the topping-off habit, the original poster started another thread about eight months later about "gas pumping issues" again.

6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    :ROFLMAO:. well lesson learned...............no TOPPING OFF.