1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Pump Keeps Shutting Off at All Stations

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PiPLosAngeles, Dec 6, 2014.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I've done my due diligence and researched this to death on priuschat and some other forums, so I'm familiar with the issues on the Gen II and the general advice about poorly maintained fuel pumps at service stations. I have filled up my PiP 63 times since I've purchased it, and I've filled up previous cars I've owned over 300 times in the last decade (I do have a spreadsheet :) at the same stations I still use today, and I have never once experienced this issue before so there's no issue with "technique" or nozzles.

My last three fillups with the PiP have been extremely aggravating because the pump shuts off after about 5 gallons and simply refuses to pump any more. The first time I experienced this was at my regular Costco, where I've filled up the PiP 19 prior times without incident. OK, maybe it was a bad pump. The very next time I filled up at Chevron and had the exact same issue. Today I filled up at a Mobil and again it was the same issue. I could not get the PiP to accept a full tank no matter how hard I tried. The nozzle would just 'pop' instantly and the only way I was going to be able to fill the tank was click ... click ... click ... click for a half and hour watching for gas to start coming out of the neck.

Aside from issues with gas station's pumps, are there any TSBs or other PiP users who have experienced this issue?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't experienced, or read about any problems. the only thing i can think of, is the manual states you have to wait for the tank to depressurize or some thing. but, i think that is taken care of automatically, when you hit the gas door button, it won't open, until it is ready.

3. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    OK. Thanks. I guess I have to take it to the dealer before it hits 36,000 miles so they don't charge me $200 to diagnose the problem.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...did you see some of the very recent threads under Gen2 etc?
    This is about the 3rd of 4th instance of this behavior in the last month or so, on various prii models.
    Several of us have started filling up by turning the gaso pump nozzle to 90 degress and some have tried inverted 180 degress (upside down) with success. Right now I am using the 90 degrees option...seems to help but have not had a good test case yet where we were down to 1-pip. I my case we usually get ~7.5 gals in winter, so I just trying to gain a gallon more or so.

5. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I saw some people speculating that it might be related to the cold, but this is Los Angeles. Cold is a relative term. It was 72°F today, so I don't think it's related to cold. At least not in my case.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^well not cold weather per se but maybe winter blend fuel makes more back pressure

7. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It hasn't done this in previous winter blend fuel periods. There has to be more to it. I'm just not sure of the engineering behind the Prius fuel tank and filling system, so I can't speculate what might be happening. It's clearly a common problem.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is not known in any of the gen III that i recall. there is no bladder.

The Electric Me likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At what level on the gas gauge are you filling, and are you tracking distance travelled between fillups. I'm just kinda wondering, if you're not tracking mileage, maybe your tank is in fact fuller than you think and there's something wrong with the gauge, ie: the tank's not that empty?

10. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Is it possible that you have a "calculation error" possibly related to a fault with the gas gauge, such that the tank really IS getting full and you are expecting to put in too much ??

11. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hahahahaha.........sorry that's really not funny.

The shut off on the pumps is triggered by liquid fuel getting on the sensor passages at the end of the nozzle.
    "back pressure" has nothing to do with it.

12. n5160u

n5160u Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have had this happen before on two other vehicles with Denso sourced fuel vapor recovery systems.
    The problem in both cases was a plugged fuel vapor purge valve that is supposed to allow fuel vapor to be purged from the fuel tank as it is being refueled.
    Most modern smog controlled vehicles except some diesels have closed fuel systems to collect unburned fuel vapor in the fuel tanks to keep it from being discharged into the air.
    The problem occurs when refuelling. As fuel is added to the gas tank, the vapor and air mixture in the tank must be allowed to go somewhere to make room for the as you are adding. There is usually a valve within the "neck" of the cars fuel filler that is "tripped" when the fuel nozzle is inserted. This manually opens a valve that allows the fuel/air vapor mixture from the fuel tank to vent through a small hose that is connected to the fuel filler that is normally closed. If that manual valve is plugged or the hose from the top of the tank is obstructed or kinked, the fuel vapor has no place to go and usually escapes up the fuel filler neck until the fuel quantity in the tank gets to the point that the incoming fuel starts to cause bubbles as the fuel and vapor mixture start to mix and choke up in the filler neck. This causes the fuel to start foaming and back up into the temperature sensitive "bulb" in the fuel filler nozzle causing it to trip off.
    The best short term "go around" is to refuel with the fueling nozzle set to the lowest possible flow rate, but the vapor recovery system does need to be checked soon. The vapor recovery system is part of the vehicles smog control system so it should be covered by the vehicles emissions control warranty.

13. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, that explanation was fantastically detailed.

I filled up for the first time at 0 miles remaining (last flashing pip I think), and the pump shut off after just 3 gallons. I told the attendant I had no idea how much fuel the car would take since it was my first fill-up, but said it had to be more than 3 gallons; perhaps 10. The attendant squeezed the trigger again and the pump filled normally after that.

I'll have to check the vapor recovery system if this becomes a common issue.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting...I'll have to remember this if I ever have this problem in the future.

15. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You vent line may be clogged. Worst case you over filled your tank, The carbon gas recovery filter expanded and exploded and now carbon is filling the vent line. So when you pump gas bubbles up and trips the overfill sensor.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    these are the only 2 cases i recall, i wonder what happened to pipLA?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  18. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My second fill up went off without a hitch. It took almost 9 gallons before clicking off. How many gallons does the PiP hold, anyhow?

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I forget exact # but PiP is roughly about 1-gal less than regular Liftback

20. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Prius liftback: 11.9 gal, PiP: 10.6 gal.