1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Pump Keeps Shutting Off at All Stations

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PiPLosAngeles, Dec 6, 2014.

1. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is one pump at my local Costco that ALWAYS shuts off early on my PiP, and it's pretty annoying. However the rest of the pumps work fine. This might be an obvious suggestion, but make sure you are using different pumps to isolate if it's a pump issue.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when my gauge beeps, i generally need 8 gallons.

3. jm64

jm64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Logging this here for internet posterity and any current thoughts from anyone even though it's an old thread.

2014 PIP around 60k miles, never had any problems before filling up. Last two fill ups now, I've experienced this issue. I was down to the blinking bar, so I usually fill up with 8-8.5 gallons from there. Two different Costco stations, but each time it clicked off after a gallon or so, so I had to work the nozzle unit it was over 8 gallons, and then just called it a day as I didn't want an overflow, but I don't think I ended up getting to what normal "full" would be, as the first bar went away quicker than normal.

If it happens again, I may try a non-Costco station once to see if their pumps are extra sensitive and then might have the dealer check under the emission system warranty if the issue continues.

Only change recently with how the car is used is we recently had free chargers installed at work, so I'm going longer than previously between fill-ups since I'm getting more electric miles, was only charging overnight at home before.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check out post #12 for a probably cause for this if your problem continues.

5. jm64

jm64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup, thanks Jerry, I should have referenced that one as well as there's good info. The end of that post was what led to my comment on getting it checked under warranty.

After some other Google based reading, I'm seeing other references to Costco and California on other make/model forums as well. I know Costco tries to have fast pumps to speed through people, and we have some specific vapor recovery rules for the nozzles that may not apply in other states, so I'm left thinking maybe fast fuel delivery and the CA specific vapor recovery system in nozzles isn't playing well together - sensors getting gummed up or something.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't use the engine much, so it's probably not that