1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gas saving drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vanne, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    any body can tell me the tip how to drive the prius 2004 by using electric mode ?

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can't drive only in electric mode, because it needs to run the engine to charge the battery. Typically you need to drive for a while until the engine is warm and the battery shows 6 bars or more. Once the Prius is warmed up and the state of charge is suitable, then just get up to a speed of 35+ MPH and then release the accelerator for a second then reapply accelerator pressure very gently and the energy monitor should show you running on electric only. It's best to do this on flats or slight downhill.

You can run in electric mode with less than 6 bars, but the fewer bars you have then the more difficult it is to keep it in electric mode. To get to more than 6 bars you usually have to travel down one or more hills, though you can also get there by decelerating from high speed.

3. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks you very much for your advice mostly i drive in the town
    the speed maximum around 35mph

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    (Continued ....) You can also glide from speeds less than 35 MPH, but you have to know how to get into "hybrid stage 4" first. You can get into "hybrid stage 4", after the Prius is warmed up, by allowing the Prius to sit at rest and idle the engine for 7 to 10 seconds (until the engine cuts out).

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the GenII design, coolant must warm up to a temperature of 145°F before the engine will shut off. At that point, you'll be able to drive at a speed up to 42 MPH until the electricity supply for that runs out. On the display for the battery, that's the pink-level (2 bars).

Keep in mind that maximizing electric-only driving is the most efficient choice, since the engine must recharge afterward. There is clearly a MPG benefit at times though. Discovering when is part of the Prius ownership experience. Enjoy!

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Vanne,

I definitely recommend you to take the time to read "The Five Stages of Prius Hybrid Operation". Also, do a google search on "pulse and glide" without the quotation marks. When you understand the five stages of how the Prius operates and learn how to pulse and glide, you will then appreciate more of the value and mileage of the Prius.

I would not recommend you try to drive it all the time in "electric drive" (golf cart mode). You will end up using the gas engine more than you would if you were to pulse and glide. Whatever you use on electric will sooner or later be replaced by running the gas engine.

If you appreciate my post's and value the information, please consider clicking like on this post.

Ron

usnavystgc likes this.