1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Station Fire blamed on Brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by catsbox, Mar 6, 2007.

1. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Mar 9 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]402902[/snapback]</div>

Actually several people have mentioned that. I for one stated that when you mash down both the gas and brake in a prius it doesn’t go anywhere it simply starts charging the battery if you are in drive. What I am wondering is. Did he have the accelerator “stick†wile on the freeway and decide to get off because the accelerator was stuck? Why would you want to? The highway is safer than surface streets if you are going fast. Or did it get “stuck†when he was already off the freeway?

I have never had a problem with an accelerator sticking or mysteriously flooring itself. I never had this problem in high school when I got my first car and it was an old p.o.s car with more than its share of problems. Never had this happen with military vehicles that were not even close to being in good working order. Now this Prius with drive by wire technology and redundant systems should not have problems like this. Anyone on this forum experience this or know anyone who has had this happen with their prius and I don’t mean having the floor mat jam it down or a piece of food or a kids toy getting lodged behind the brake I mean a real honest to God the car just went crazy thing happen.

Is it even possible for all the systems to go bad at one time in a prius and if so what does the car actually do when the entire computer system malfunctions? Does it shut down so to speak or does it go crazy and start accelerating and what not?

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, if my car were going too fast on a freeway, the first thing I'd do is pull off onto a 90-degree offramp to a traffic signal crossing a busy street!

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Mar 9 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]403042[/snapback]</div>
    "The hatch just blew." Gus Grissom
    NOT Virgil Ivan Grissom!

4. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 9 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]403103[/snapback]</div>
    Well actually they did prove that that scenario was possible and likely. They also found evidence that it did just blow that he was telling the truth that is why they redesigned the explosive hatches shortly after that event.

5. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Mar 10 2007, 01:12 AM) [snapback]403176[/snapback]</div>
    And there is absolutely no truth to the rumor that the garbled transmission just before it happened was, "Hey, what's this big red button here for?" :unsure:

6. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Mar 11 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]404007[/snapback]</div>

He new what that button was fore he was a test pilot for many years before going into the space program. Every test craft at that time had explosive bolts and a big red button. Lol rumor that is like saying I saw it on the Internet it must be true. You ever hear the rumor about Neil Armstrong. You know the first words spoken from the moon were actually “Good luck Mr. Skiborski†the storry goes that when Neil was a boy his neighbors were arguing and the wife yelled, “You want sex? You’ll get sex when the boy next door lands on the moon!†Neil never lived next to these people and so on. Believe what you want I don’t really care. Then again ol Gus never even existed he was just some actor in a movie studio just like the rest of the fake space program. You can take that to the bank I saw it on the Internet. So I guess the article in this post is true the prius just went crazy. The other articles must be true the prius is the only vehicle ever made that does not get the epa gas mileage etc etc.

7. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Mar 13 2007, 09:24 AM) [snapback]404772[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like somebody got up on the wrong side of the rock today. :blink:

I hope he knew, not "new," what that button was for, not "fore" unless he was playing golf. Also, I doubt that IAO has checked every location where Neil Armstrong has lived up until the time Neil allegedly walked on the moon, so I would be highly doubtful of his attempt to debunk that rumor (with no bold added, as my previous post did not have rumor in bold either.)

And I would hope that "ol Gus," even if he was "just some actor in a movie studio," would be able to recognize a bit of humor, which apparently is not obvious enough for some.

8. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Mar 13 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]404828[/snapback]</div>

I few typos sorry hadn’t had my coffee yet.

As for checking his places of residence I didn’t have to. He was asked the question directly in an interview and denied it. Maybe he was lying about it for obvious reasons, what ever. According to him he never knew a Skiborski and that is good enough for me.

As for not seeing the humor in your comment I just don’t see how discrediting the honor, reputation, and integrity of an American hero is funny.

Rumor shmoomer, what ever; I don’t go around believing every myth and rumor I hear. I demand the roomer be proved as fact before I accept it as truth.

9. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Mar 13 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]404852[/snapback]</div>
    Definate rumor. Began on the internet in 1995, per Snopes, with variants in last name (originally Mr. Gorsky, no Skiborski ). See http://www.snopes.com/quotes/mrgorsky.htm

10. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

even the burnt car should have the emergency brake still down after the smoked cleared.

If the Ebrake locks up the back wheels would they have drag marks leading into the store.

Hopefully the forensics team had a crack at this thing.

11. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 13 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]404907[/snapback]</div>

Now I know he did it on purpose. Ever try to take a turn and then pull the e-brake in a car that has the hand brake style e-brake? The back wheels lock up and the rear end slides all over the place. If you don’t know what you are doing you will spin out. Can be fun in an open parking lot in an old pos of a car. Well in high school it was fun.

12. benighted

benighted New Member

He must have thought the red arrows on the MFD meant he was stopping and the green arrows meant "GO"