1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Stations Without Ethanol in California

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mrblaise, May 24, 2008.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've seen a lot of people claim very large drops in FE with E10 but in my own testing it's only a small drop of about 2% to 3%. Also most studied that I've read that are at least semi controlled or semi scientific come to similar conclusions.

There does seem to be a pretty strong correlation between a persons political/ethical views about E10 and how large is there reduction in MPG's with the fuel. Funny that. :D

BTW. Having said that I do have to agree with you that corn based ethanol E10 is probably not all that good for the environment when everything is considered.

2. GoMetricToday

GoMetricToday 42 is the answer to the ultimate question.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was also wondering about pure gas versus Ethanol blended gas. Here in Tennessee there are stations where I live that sell pure gas with no Ethanol. A lot of the stations around here have upwards of E15 blend. I know the winter months will cause the car to take a hit in efficiency. Would pure gas be better in the Winter and Ethanol blended gas be better in the Spring and Summer months?

I need to fill up today and I will try a tank of pure gas and make a comparison. I have only had my 2010 Prius since January 10th and have only used E15 blend gas since that is all my favourite gas station sells. I am getting in the high 40's as far as MPG. Not bad for the hills and valleys that I have to contend with.

3. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ethanol is absolutely evil to an IE. Problems usually is related with more repaired involved with fuel delivery system like fuel pump, injectors. Especially noticeable with direct injection injectors.

BMW of North America is suffering a huge problem in providing warranty repair due to the 10% ethanol content in the fuel. Especially with their direct injector injectors, the injectors would get clogged and cause misfire and other engine running problems.

So far I've had them replaced twice in my BMW and is about to go in on the 3rd repair. Clearly no solution in sight. Is this keep up I am going 100% full electric.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Note that E10 has been the only fuel available in Minnesota for well over a decade. It has not an issue in any fashion for Prius. It works fine.

5. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Likely due to the hybrid design you will not feel the difference with a leaky injector, but they are very noticeable in a 555 hp engine.

6. BillG1234

BillG1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Ca gas does not have ethanol mixed into it. Not all cars can take ethanol fuels. Most US cars use rubber parts in the fuel lines and systems expecting gasoline. You must use stainless steel fuel lines and no rubber components to use alcohol fuels. Only put your ethanol in flex fuel cars as they are designed to accept it. Ca requires refiners add special chemicals that are supposed to clean up the air. Reality is that it is just a way to block other states from shipping gas to California. This keeps the monopoly going and the corrupt oil industry more profitable.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What about the million non-hybrids sharing the same roads using the same E10 not having any problems either?

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That hasn't been true for ages. E10 has been supported industry wide for well over a decade.

E15 comes up as an unnecessary liability, so most automakers simply say no, even though many already support it. After all, how much of a difference will 5% actually make?

9. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Get off of my website problemchild! Your Flag ID is offensive to ALL true Americans !!!!!!!

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel a little like a we're in a Star Trek episode where we've gone back in history, in this case we are tacking comments onto an ancient 2008 thread. Here is a reference to a more recent thread which contains a link to a list of ethanol free gas stations (see map). You will note CA has very few ethanol-free stations, I believe CA as well most states using E10. I am a little confused about the controlling regulations, and who has to use E10 ethanol and who doesn't, but at this point a fairly large % of USA gaso supply is E10.

Check out your state for No E Gas.

11. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Every car / truck sold in the US must be designed to use E10 without problems. Flex fuel is only necessary for higher blends like E15-E85.

12. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

We had the option of the fuel of our choice here in ND, as we are one of a North Dakota to Texas band of states where air quality is good enough that oxygenated fuel is not mandated. We have our choice of ethanol free 87 octane or blends from E10 through E85, all through the same Cenex blender pumps.
    In 4 years and 35,000 miles of testing different fuel blends avalible in our area, I found that the local Cenex stations who use blender pumps which allow pumping a good quality E free 87 octane gasoline, or any mixture of that same good 87 octane gas mixed to 89 octane E10. Also avalible is E30, E85.
    In 4 years of experimenting, I found my 2010 Prius "likes" the Cenex 89 octane E10 best. In many tanks of E10 and E0, the gen 3 Prius "likes" the 89 octane E10 best. Giving on average 2 mpg better with a quality gasoline and E10% blend.
    I am afraid all that will now change. I am a Cenex coop member and get their monthly news letter.
    They tell me their fuel blend will change immediatly. They claim they are under pressure from the goverenment to increase sales / useage of Ethanol blends, so 87 octane E0 , along with Ethanol free premium 91 octane will no longer be avalible. They say from the time of the newsletter forward, They will be recieving only 84,5 octane gasoline from the refineries, instead of the normal 87 octane E0, and blending it with enough Ethanol to make the 87,89 and 91 octane fuels, All will use the cheaper quality 84.5 octane gasoline, and all will contain Ethanol.

If I see any difference with performance or MPG with these new fuel blends, I will report what is going on.
    So far I see no difference, as my Prius is still averaging 53-54 MPG , but the old fuel blends may still be in the stations and depots tanks, so I may not see the "new" fuel blends for a while yet.

wjtracy likes this.
  13. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed, E10 is a water magnet. I try to keep the tank as full as possible (not let it get below half a tank).

DBCassidy