1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas tank question for 2013 prius iii

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Cali~Kiki, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Cali~Kiki

Cali~Kiki New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put gas in my prius iii tonight when it had two bars (not normal i wait so low but haven't driven car since Saturday). The computer told me it would go another 60ish miles prior to the gas being put in the tank.

I put in $27 which was just over 6.75 gallons (in CA price was $3.929/gallon). I thought that 6.75 gallons might give me half a tank or little more. It actually gave me full tank minus 1 bar on the 6 gallons? That doesn't make sense to me. Comp says i can go 405 miles now but how did it almost fill tank with just over 6 gallons?

Anyone else experience this?

If the tank is supposed to be 11.9 gallons and i could only got another 60ish miles with the two bars (thinking the two bars are a gallon each roughly?) how did under 7 gallons fill the tank?

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The computations are based upon average MPG. If you happened to drive the vihicle a short distance after you filled it up, then the average MPG probably went way down. After you put some mileage on your recently fueled tank of gas you average will begin to climb and the mileage per tank will go up.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The nozzle clicked off by accident. You should've filled 8+ gallons to full.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This has happened to my wife when fueling the Prius. I told her I always wait a few seconds after the pump clicks off, then squeeze in more fuel slowly till it clicks off again.

That incomplete fill up messed up our fuelly mpg tracking. :(

But I think we're back on track after combining the last few fill ups to get an average.

SCH-I535

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Don't worry a bit. I've driven down to one blinking pip a couple times and it barely takes more than 9 gallons at that. I've never put 10 gallons in the car, ever, maybe 9.5 tops.

I think the gage is very conservative in that it really doesn't want driver to run out of gas.

I have no problem only putting 8 or 9 gallons back in: the fuel pump should be in the tank and it doesn't like to suck air.

6. Cali~Kiki

Cali~Kiki New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should have been clearer i prepaid $27 so it stopped then but was still surprised that it went ao close to full. Do the little bullets not equal a gallon each like i thought?

7. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you put in 7 gallons and it went up 7 bullets!