1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas tank question/problem with fuel/tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jomo, Mar 20, 2012.

1. jomo

jomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello: I am the proud owner of a 2004 Prius but I have no technical knowledge about autos. My husband of 30 years passed in December and he was a "car guy".

I basically have had no repairs on the vehicle except for a new windsheild and one other thing that was about $150.00 but can't remember what it was.

Yesterday, my fuel was down to 2 "notches" and while I was driving it went down to the last "notch" so I stopped for fuel. It would only take just under 2 gallons - the pump would stop and then I could only put it a tiny amount at a time so I finally stopped.

When I got back in my car the fuel gauge did not move any higher. I also noticed that I had only gone 277 miles since I last filled. I always fill the tank but it never takes more than 7 to 8 gallons regardless of low my gauge reads (or even if the light is flashing!)

I have an appointment tomorrow am at a Toyota dealership but don't want to pay for unecessary repairs and I also want to be knowledgeable.

Any ideas of what this could be? I have to drive about 50 miles this am should I try to put more fuel in after the drive?

Thanks so much!

I'm in line again for another Prius - but was hoping to keep this one for another two years. I'm definately a Prius snob and I've never been able to keep a car that long (I live in Detroit area so I get a lot of flak for owning a Toyota, too)

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I know that if you get less than 3 gallons, the computers do not recognize the new gas. (but it IS there obviously)

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. jomo

jomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I found more info after I posted. I hate it that I'm just now having issues with filling. I will try again today.

I cancelled my service with one Toyota Dealership and called another one. The service guy gave me tips similar to those here and said to call him anytime. I guess I know which dealership I want to work with! I didn't even need service so I'm a peeved at the first guy.

Thanks again. Later today I'm going to look around this site more. I also found how to see my service record from a link posted here. My 2004 Prius has been serviced three times - one was the floor mat, the other some body work and another was minor engine. All in 2011.

I love my Prius.

5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dealer 1: "well a new gas tank, fuel pump, fill neck, and fuel level sensor is going to run $1000, $3000 with labor, our manager will give you $1000 to trade it in on a brand new Prius, here he is now to talk to you about the 2011 prius."

dealer 2: "this happens with the prius, just wait 5 minutes after opening the gas cap to depressurize the gas tank, and put the fuel in on its slowest setting; try different pumps at different gas stations, you may find one that works with your car right away on full blast . . . your welcome, glad to help, we're here if you have any "real" problems with your car."

TouringSYNERGY2007 and jomo like this.
  6. jomo

jomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, and I thought I had a bad Dealer just wanting me to bring mine in!

Thanks for the input.

7. Edward74

Edward74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a design issue, so your dealer will not be of any help[​IMG]

8. jomo

jomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I went to my "normal" gas station today and it took 7 gallons and the tank show "full". The only thing I did special was hold the hose higher than the nozzle and tried my best to fill it slow.

Lucky for me I've only had this one issue in 8 years and I can happily return to my original plan to keep it for two more.

thanks everyone for the input. I'd be lost if I hadn't found you. Actually I'd be at the dealer today probably shelling out $ for nothing.

And I can maintain my bragging rights to paying less than $500 (truthfully I think it's only been about $350) in repairs in the car's history!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!