1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gas tax on miles not gallon*proposed* in orgeon...

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by parrot_lady, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oregon has a weight/mile tax - for trucks - and boy, does the trucking lobby complain! We're also the only state on the west coast to allow "triple trailers" where a semi has three trailers behind it. (Merging on or exiting from I-5 can be quite an experience with one of these next to you.)

One of my pet peeves are all the yahoos in Portland who put studded tires on their cars, for ice and snow, don't you know, which Portland rarely gets, and grind up the roads from October to April, all the while decreasing their tire's wet traction, for which we have a big need.

Triple trailers (that's a lot of weight) and studded tires make Oregon highways pretty rough. Not like New York's Long Island Expressway, but not smooth.

As for distance based insurance, I have that. My rate is higher than my wife's because I drive more.

The GPS based milage tax was a stupid experiment. It will never move into law. On the other hand, the TriMet tax, charged for every employee in the Portland metro area to support mass transit, is still with us after 20+ years.

Oh, and we don't let amateurs like you and me pump our own gas, professionals do that, just like in New Jersey.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Mar 28 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]231547[/snapback]</div>

2. sutherlin12

sutherlin12 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cameron @ Mar 30 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]232737[/snapback]</div>
    What's wrong with guns? :eek: Oh, nevermind, I don't want to start that firestorm. But, I'm a "gun lovin', Republican" who wouldn't live in Portland if they gave it to me. And..... are you ready for this..... I drive a Prius too. :p

3. SirGreen

SirGreen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(osiris12 @ Mar 26 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]230626[/snapback]</div>
    What next? Will they want to tax us on every flush of the toilet since we
    need to conserve water?

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This just kinda sums it up, doesn't it?
    _H*

5. Cameron

Cameron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sutherlin12 @ Mar 31 2006, 05:57 AM) [snapback]232841[/snapback]</div>
    I have to admit that even a Republican can make an occasional great decision…did your Prius come with a gun rack? :)

Also, regulating toilet flushes to conserve water is a better idea than a mileage tax. The mileage tax actually penalizes conservation and rewards gas-guzzlers. The statement made by the administrator of Oregon’s Road User Fee Task Force compares SUV’s as equal to gas conserving vehicles since they are both relatively the same length and thus take up the same about of room on Oregon’s roads. He further declares that both types do an equal amount of wear and tear on the roads, totally disregarding weight differences.

6. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cameron @ Apr 1 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]233448[/snapback]</div>
    (another Republican Prius-Owner) :)
    It would seem to me that those that chew up the roads the most should pay for it. And from what I understand, trucks are the main culprit here. It is indeed a bad idea to tax good decisions (those of us that have hybrids). BTW, I dont have a gun rack either...for that matter, I don't own a gun! :p

7. Cameron

Cameron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finally_got_one @ Apr 7 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]236537[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, more weight generally means greater wear on the road. Bruce Starr, the Oregon Republican legislator that allocated tax dollars to fund this expensive mileage tax test, received an 8% approval rating from the Oregon League of Conservation Voters. His program has nothing to do with rewarding good choices. His pet program punishes conservationists.

Much like his cohorts who want to “save†Social Security, his website (brucestarr.org) would have you believe he’s out to save the environment. The more this project is explored, the less change it has of going anywhere. Republican or Democrat, it’s a shame Oregonians have to pay for it.

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think they want to give the Rich wastefull Hummer drivers a break as well as anything that is totally "NOT" gas efficeint and pass the bill on to those that are....
    This only takes away incentives to develope and drive gas efficeint machines as they will reap a greater tax compared to how many gallons of gas they buy.

9. Cameron

Cameron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 8 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]236786[/snapback]</div>
    And, what about all of the tourists driving on Oregon's roads. Will hybrid owners be expected to make up the difference in loss of gas tax revenue? ARRGGH.... still steamed. :angry:

10. sutherlin12

sutherlin12 New Member

You folks do realize that Oregon is a "blue" state. It's the libs here that are proposing this. :p And, yes, I got the gun rack option with my Prius. :lol:

11. Cameron

Cameron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sutherlin12 @ Apr 11 2006, 11:32 PM) [snapback]238425[/snapback]</div>
    Again, I believe it was Bruce Starr, Republican Chair of Transportation, that spent our tax dollars on the pilot project. ;)