1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Tax?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by boulder_bum, May 24, 2007.

?
  1. Yes. I drive a Prius, so who cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way. I need the money.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not sure. I'd need to think about it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wrangleriethings

wrangleriethings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ May 24 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]449123[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't agree more..just because I now own and drive my prius it doesn't change my mind about a gas tax. It might actually help encourage more people to use less petro by either carpooling, using public transportation, etc etc. I'm originally from CA and now live in MN. I can remember back in 2000 and 2001 when gas prices there were equal to what the current going rate for gas is here in MN. It amazes me how much people complain about the price and yet they do nothing about it and continue to drive in gas guzzling vechicles.

i like the idea of putting the money from the tax to research for more "green" or fuel efficient vehicles or to add better public transportation options in areas where they may not currently exist.

2. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think it's important to keep in mind that fuel is worth a lot more than its current price. There is much more to it than just the cost of pulling it from the ground, processing it, and delivering it to you. There are very significant political, military, and environment factors as well. For example, the $1T war in Iraq to protect our oil supply costs you the same whether you drive a guzzler 100 miles per day or if you walk to work. That is a subsidy, and subsidies encourage waste. Raising the tax on fuel will make high energy users pay more of their share of its true cost. It's very fair.

There is pain coming our way due to our energy situation no matter what. The price of fuel will go up, and that will hurt, especially lower income people. It will happen regardless of what we do. It would be much better to handle it in a regulated way, one designed to lessen the burden on those most affected and to help solve the energy problem, rather than to just let it all hit the fan and pick up the pieces afterwards. That money should be given to the government to fund alternative energy research, conservation, public transportation, etc. instead of to the oil companies and Middle Eastern tyrants and terrorists.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spideyman @ May 24 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]449642[/snapback]</div>
    These guys say they want legislation to repeal the 16th Ammendment to the Constitution. Apparently they are not aware that legislation cannot repeal any part of the Constitution.

They also assert that they want a "progressive" sales tax. Sales taxes are regressive by nature.

The whole thing sounds loony to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jewelerdave @ May 25 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]449847[/snapback]</div>
    Now that I have a car that runs on electrons instead of gasoline, I love this idea!

4. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ May 24 2007, 03:35 AM) [snapback]448878[/snapback]</div>
    We already pay some 60 cents a gallon gas tax. I have had enough, even with a Prius!

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ May 24 2007, 02:41 AM) [snapback]448906[/snapback]</div>
    Why would anyone want to see money go to the government rather than to the oil companies? What do you think the oil companies do with the money? Put it in a mattress?

Canada is the largest single source for our oil, but she is not providing "most of our oil". In March, she provided about 18% of our oil. Mexico is almost tied with that with 17%, and the next two countries, Nigeria and Saudi Arabia provided about 13% each. That's still 26% from Those four countries provided 61% of the crude flowing into our country. Nigeria is about 50% Muslim, but I don't know how radical they are there; the Saudis are obviously our friendliest enemy, but they still want to kill us.

Consumption drops as oil prices rise, and oil has been rising at a pretty good rate here lately. Let the market work.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 25 2007, 09:59 PM) [snapback]450258[/snapback]</div>
    Two problems with this: Presently the hidden subsidies encourage over-comsumption. This works against the market force which would reduce consumption with increasing scarcity.

We are on the road to burning what remains of the world's petroleum before we have built the infrastructure for an alternative.

It is vitally important that we build infrastructure for renewable energy before we run out of oil. A very high gas tax would do two things: It would put a brake on consumption, and it would stimulate development of alternative infrastructure and technology.

The way to alleviate the impact on the poor is to mandate a living wage, not subsidize the depletion of a diminishing and extremely valuable resource.

7. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 26 2007, 12:59 AM) [snapback]450258[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I wanted to say, I did phrase it wrong. Thanks for the figures.

8. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

I look at a gas tax this way: If I have to give someone my money it might as well be the government so that they can at least put the money to use by making newer roadways and such. The price of gas is going to just keep rising, whether now or later IDK but it will happen the closer we get to running out of oil, and it might as well just go up now do to the gas tax so they we can get people to think about FE more, then after most people have switched and/or the price of gas has really started to climb that we can just lower the gas tax so that gas prices remain about the same.

The only real questions are: How long will it take to get people thinking about FE more?, Who will get my money?, At what gas price will people start thinking about FE more?, and When will this all occur? Those are the only real questions. It's going to happen eventually no matter what, so why put it off? It's like putting off your chores until the last minute. You could do it and do a half assed job, most of the time, or do it right away to avoid any unexpected outcomes.

I think when it comes to the Earth as a whole that we shouldn't wait till the last minute to do something about it, else something may come up that we don't forsee. If that happens then we may be doomed, at least on Earth anyways.