1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline could drop 50 cents/gallon by spring

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Feb 7, 2008.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, it's still in the low $3.30s here but it hurts enough. diesel is up to over $4 now and i dread the day we have to fill that tank up.

a nice price drop at the end of april would be great, so would winning the lottery.

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Who counts California? $3 of it is probably state tax."

Nothing like broad-brush statements. One should check their facts:

U.S. Gasoline Taxes by State

Probably the same logic that predicted gas dropping by 50 cents (to something like $2.65/gallon, if memory serves), enables the determination that California has $3.00/gallon of state tax. I sure am glad Malorn isn't making financial decisions for me.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its April 15. Let me be the first to point out that the national average price for unleaded regular gas is now $3.39 / gal.

Its even higher out here in California, but again, we don't count even though we have more registered vehicles than any other state.

Attached Files:

4. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, so now what do we make Malorn do? I suggest his punishment be to streak across a GM dealership shouting Toyota makes the Prius Hybrid over and over. :D

5. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    His punishment is that he has to try to sell big, inefficient vehicles when the gas prices are at record high prices. :(

6. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So...gas goes up a dollar, then drops 50 cents; up a dollar again, then drops 50 cents again. Whoop-de-doo!:der:

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah shoot. I was really pulling for Malorn there too. I mean what with his vastly superior knowledge of how the world economy works. I thought he had this thing NAILED. Now who will I find to look up to? To be my mentor?

I wonder what could have gone wrong. Malorn's system seem infallable!

8. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What about the bet? Malorn, are you willing to change your avatar now?

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ya know, when I see something that is totally ridiculous and goes against common sense, I try not to dismiss it out of hand. Maybe this person knows something that I have missed somehow. Otherwise why would they believe something so crazy. Is this person a genius or completely out of touch?

When I first saw the title to this thread, I had one of those moments. I've been watching the gas prices climb up every spring and then fall back a little after Memorial Day for several years now. In fact, I based my last car purchase on this observation; I wanted to get a car that gets the best FE because I know gas prices are only going to get worse in the future.

A genius or completely out of touch? I think the result is in. :twitch:

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I imagine not - this time, he will blame the devaluation of the dollar for skewing the gas price rise.... (Kind of like blaming California taxes....)

Oh and BTW, Regular Unleaded at the Chevron station that I fill at is now 3.99/gallon.... That is close enough to $4.00/gallon. Even with adjusting for dollar devaluation and California taxes, we are nowhere near $2.65/gallon. And it is not even Memorial Day. Anyone care to guess where prices will be on Memorial Day?

11. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't want to speculate, but maybe Malorn's dealership had to pack up.
    Not that I wish such a scenario on anyone, since I've been in the unemployment line once before and it plain sux, but if you bet on the wrong horse....

Thomas

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For SF, about $4.20. That will put Sacramento at about $4.00, we are close to $3.80 now. In fact my local Chevron was $3.83 on 4/14. I took a picture that I was going to post for Malorn, but my cell phone camera sucks, so it isn't a very good photo.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    $4.20/gallon in S.F. could be in the ball park for prices by Memorial Day. Does anyone think they will be higher? Is anyone considering a PHEV conversion?

14. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If I was Malorn, I would be really pissed at Bob Lutz and GM right now. GM had an electric vehicle on the road last decade. They had a hybrid prototype as a result of PNGV. But they killed both of these vehicles to concentrate on building "more profitable" SUVs and pickup trucks.

But now, Malorn is stuck trying to peddle huge SUVs and trucks with record high gas prices. Some small GM products (i.e. Chevy Aveo) are built in Korea and don't help with the trade deficit that Malorn is upset about.

In addition, GM has a reputation for poor reliability and poor quality, so people like me will not even consider buying a GM product. They may have improved their quality, but why would I take the chance when there are so many other vehicles to choose from?

Sorry Malorn. I understand why you want $2.50 gas again, but the reality is that its not going to happen.

15. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is a little known fact that Malorn was hired by the Societe Generale. This is an emerging story with further details forthcoming as to when this hiring took place. Was it before a "Rogue trader scandal broadens out" (see link to the story:) BBC NEWS | Business | Rogue trader scandal broadens out
    Or did Malorn get hired to replace the rogue trader with a mission to save the almost bankrupt financial organization? There's another speculation that "Malorn" is actually the rogue trader
    [​IMG] Jerome Kerviel, the reported rogue trader

bringing down this bank single handedly with his future market call of commodities. Stay tuned for future sightings of "Malorn".

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe Malorn is relocating to China to compete with the Japanese there. China is a growing market for cars, 2nd to the U.S. and they don't seem to mind the SUVs. I imagine GM won't have problems with emissions standards over there like they have here.

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is everybody enjoying their $2.50 gas?

18. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you referring to the three Krystal burgers?:eek:hwell: