1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline could drop 50 cents/gallon by spring

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Feb 7, 2008.

1. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    >> I think gas is supply and demand. <<

Let's see. On one end of the pipe we have an oil cartel arbitrarily setting production limits to control the crude supply to keep prices high.

On the other end, here in the US, we have big oil cutting gas production when demand drops, again, to keep prices high. It happened earlier this year.

If I hear one more "expert" (Def: A drip under pressure) tell me it is a free market and this is all China's fault I am going to barf.

The oil/gas market is about as free as the diamond market and DeBeers.

And that's my $0.02 worth,

Bob

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, Malorn's predictions were for lower prices this spring, but historically gas prices usually peak at or near Memorial Day; this is a 3 day weekend, so it is a popular time to travel. That last part may not be true with > $4 gas.

One of the reasons (excuses) that is used to explain why our gas prices are higher than other states is that California has different gas formulations than the surrounding states, so the refinery capacity is limited for California. Our gas taxes are on the higher end of the range, but not the highest, no matter what Malorn may have posted.

I think the prices are higher here because the oil companies have discovered that we will tolerate higher prices. We keep buying the stuff.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this is what i think is the real reason
    and so stop buying at the big gas stations and only go to the cheaper stations
    trying to cut down in fuel only saves you money that the big petrol company's then stack up to there price and make it even higher!

4. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm watching GWB explain why the cost of oil is high. He thinks that we need to drill for more oil. He thinks that ethanol will solve the problem. He thinks that BEVs are future talk.

The man is a moron.

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, methanol made the gasoline problem worse. When the gasoline refiners ran the numbers on the future gasoline market (there were actually plans to build some new refineries), the increase in ethanol production covered the amount of planned new gasoline production. Being good capitalists, the refinery companies decided no need to shoot themselves in the foot and for the most part shelved the plans for new refineries.

I prefer to think of him as Mr. mentally below average. In any event, come January 20, 2009, we can bid him farewell. I just hope we don't end up with McSame. This country really can not afford four more years of what we have had for the past 7 (almost 8) years.

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    According to Mr. Mentally Below Average, it is all the Congress' fault: they are preventing new refineries and they are keeping the benevolent oil companies from drilling in the ANWR. Its their fault. I heard him say it.

In my opinion, we have to stop mainlining oil for our transportation needs. We are worse than heroin addicts and about as stupid.

7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What to do when confronted with a problem? Blame others. Remember the testimony on the heels of Katrina? Who could have imagined a storm this big? It is your job to imagine a storm that big and prepare for it.... Your predecessors were able to exercise the necessary imagination quite well. That is why he is Mr. mentally below average.... He is imagination-challenged.

At least they are consistent - give the addict heroin at a price the addict can barely afford and you will maximize earnings for the heroin industry.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The amount of stupidity loaded into such a short paragraph is astounding! In some ways I hope he really doesn't believe in that drivel because if he does he truely is mentally challenged and that does not reflect well on a society that voted him into office at least once. :(

9. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Whats really sad is that McBush actually has a chance at winning the White House, and he would continue the Bush legacy, thats what is scary about US society.

Bush is a moron that always passes the blame, forget that he refused Saudi Arabia's off to keep prices low and stable, thats not his fault that he refused their offer, its Congress's, or maybe its Barney's fault, but its never Bush's fault.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The really scary thing is that the U.S. electorate has managed to pretty reliably (at least in 2000, 2002 and 2004) vote against its self-interest. I wonder if 2008 is going to continue the change that started in 2006; or, will 2006 just be a blip on an otherwise on-going pattern of voting against their self-interest.

You just have to love McSame's proposal to have tax preferences for health insurance. What if you don't earn enough to have the benefit of the tax preferences?

11. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Republicans don't like poor people.

12. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Republicans don't like anyone except themselves, you can see that in their policies, spend like mad, but only on foreigners and themselves.

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Democrats want to help the poor.
    Republicans want to help their friends.
    Libertarians don't want to help anyone.

14. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Say, what happened to this guy? The last day he did any posting (whether it be on gasoline dropping $.50 or anything else) was 04/03/08.

15. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    He went out and bought a Prius, when he drove it on his GM lot, they killed him. :eyebrows:

16. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    He is probably preoccupied trying to figure out how to sell full size SUVs at a time with record high gas prices.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet he's kicking himself for not buying the Toyota dealership he was considering.

18. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, the whacky Northern Californian's really took over this thread, didn't they? I'll remove F8L from this group as his threads typically have a lot of thought and he's obviously very educated. The rest of you though, your bitter name calling is getting a bit old.

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

2 points. Regarding the above, this is exactly why any proposal to insure the poor cannot involve tax credits. If one is truly poor and uninsured, that person does not even FILE or certainly PAY federal tax, so a tax credit would not cover the most needy. To propose otherwise proves the author is completely out of touch.

Getting back to the OP: I just filled up my Prius and spent a record $35+ for only 9 gallons. I was upset until I pulled away from the pump and saw the person in front of me filling up his truck and his pump was still going strong and surpassed $118 as I drove by. $35? chump change! Double chump change when I realized I work from home and that tank will last me at least 2 weeks, while the contractor with the truck will probably have to fill up again in a week. He, most likely is self-employed and will use the gas as a tax deduction like the woman with the SUV opposite the same pump as me who stated, 'at least my husband can write this off against his business' as she pumped away.

I just smiled at her but thought hmmm, so you are openly a tax cheat. Then as I was filling up I did a quick calculation that on a $100 fillup she (or her husband) writes off. They save about half the money when you apply their tax bracket plus their social security tax to the $100. BUT THIS STILL MEANS for her to have the privilege of that SUV the fill up in this example would still cost her family $50 a week in cold hard cash, and she is a TAX CHEAT to boot, and teaching her kids cheating is OK. I neglected to ask her about the small square remains of a bumper sticker which I think was a proud "W" sticker at one time.

She, like so many others, was so transparently stupid I could only chuckle to myself. In our short 'meeting' I learned she was a tax cheat, a sheepish "W" supporter, a mother teaching her kids to cheat, and had no grasp on the (de)value of a dollar. Sheeple!

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd rather not be lumped in with the whacky Northerners, mingoglia, at least on this score. I've also asked earlier for people to lay off Malorn, but was chastised for it. I think maybe we've all had our fun with this thread and it's time to put it to bed.