1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline could drop 50 cents/gallon by spring

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Feb 7, 2008.

1. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ah, the good old days. I can recall gas when it was less then fifty cents a gallon. And I'm only 43.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I remember when gas was only 19¢ a gallon. Of course, I was only 8 at the time.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Arrrggghhh! Unfortunately, we slow learners have found that someone has bought all of the good inventory.

On to a more serious question. What would be your next (motorized) vehicle purchase?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    17¢ a gallon for me, and I was old enough to drive. That was full service and they gave you a glass as a premium if you filled up.

Tom

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    with 30 pages of responses, i am not going to read thru all this, but have to ask??

has anyone ate crow with malorn yet?

ok... i do it..

u were right, but the prices will go back up again... but hopefully, we have learned SOMETHING... plus with the economy tanking the way it is now, many i see on a daily basis cannot go back to what they were doing even if gas was a 1.50 a gallon...many are already deep in hock from bills that piled up last summer.

couple that with the "no overtime, no matter what" policy that was recently instituted at my work company-wide (about 85,000 employees stateside). this was a HUGE shock especially when in the past, the company BEGGED people to work overtime.

we have probably 10-15% who counted on that overtime to make ends meet monthly.

how long this will go on?? who knows. i guess we should be thankful that layoffs are currently not on the table.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    U.S. Retail Gasoline Prices

Maybe the next thread should be how low will it go? If this economy does not pickup some steam in the next two months look out, the recession will be very deep and very long.

I serve on a state economic roundtable, we had a conference call yesterday and the state thinks sales tax revenue may be off 25-30% in the 4th qtr over projections.

The next president and congress will have his hands full.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here is a worst-case scenario:

1. A very severe global recession covers all of us
    2. The Greenback plummets
    3. OPEC decides to ditch the dollar for the Euro
    4. Overnight, the US economy collapses
    5. Major US corporations, such as GM, go belly up
    6. Global demand for petroleum products drop +30%

In such a scenario, gas could drop to $1 a gallon, even lower. Would that be "good" for the economy? Of course not.

By that point, the economy would have already tipped from severe recession to outright depression. Credit would be completely dried up. Nobody will buy a Suburban if they've lost their job, their home, and are living in a shanty town

BTW I suggest you travel the world, especially on business so it doesn't cost you anything. In countries like India, I see the "future" of our country: a handful of folks relatively well-off, the rest living in shanty towns with open sewers

Funnily enough, we have been warned about these scenarios over, and over, and over again. I'm sure you'll agree that "cheap" credit isn't so great an idea. It bankrupts an entire nation, but in the short term a person making 1/10 of what I do can live in a house far nicer than mine

Of course, once the ARM takes off, they lose the home and return to the trailer park. I'm also punished, as not only will I see my savings decline in purchasing power (Already has happened), but the security of my savings is questioned as well.

Good thing I have never trusted the stock market, and accepted a much lower rate of return from bank interest

I think we're in for a very long winter, in the economic sense

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the housing bubble fooled the US for a decade about how hollow our economy actually is. The middle-class is being wiped out as the jobs which created it are being shipped overseas by the thousands.
    I agree with the possibilty of much of your scenario, but I think if it gets that bad, you have left out a couple of key elements of the future. I think the US will have civil war long before most americans decide a life in a "shanty-town" is acceptable.
    I also think in a geo-political sense this scenario is extremely dangerous, historically deep recessions, depressions have always given rise to tremendous nationalism ending in war of some sort.
    I still think that the US and the world will stagger out of this mess and do reasonably well for up to a decade but the next dip will be the dip that changes history unless there is drastic change in the interim (not Obama or McCain but Ron Paul-like change).

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can thank the crackpot sinister criminal masterminds that run wall street, the government, and big business, for that one.

I hadn't thought of that, and it is a plausible scenario. However, consider the record number of foreclosures, and the number of folks now living in their RV's at trailer parks. Sort of a glorified shanty town life.

Thanks to generations of the Boob Tube and now the Internet, people have become so brain dead, with such microscopic attention spans, that perhaps civil war wouldn't happen

I think it's a bit illogical to directly compare the Great Depression to what is happening now. First of all, folks from that generation were - for the most part - relatively recent immigrants to the US and Canada.

They had left their countries that were mired in a social and economic mess *far* worse than anything we had during our Great Depression. These folks were from a hardier stock: most of them instinctively saved, purchased within their means, were self-reliant, and used to sacrifice and had a sense of duty

Contrast that to the whiny, piss-and-moan generation we now have. Take away the GameBoy, the Boob Tube, and the computer, they're completely lost. I still very much reflect the tough, self-reliant traits my parents and grandparents had

I hate to say it, as it sounds a bit harsh, but this means I have far less competition in the workforce.

I hope you're right. If not, things could get very ugly

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think the reasons, solutions, and destiny is all tied to the subject of this post...

we will either

1)stop sending a quarter trillion to the middle east yearly

or we wont

2) we will either become primarily energy self sufficient

or we wont

and finally,

3) we will recover from this financial crisis, or

we wont

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    you left out another important component, if we don't recover some of our lost manufacturing luster over time all three of your components above will be impossible.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You are right in the fact there is far too large a segment that has been dumbed-down by the boobtube etc, but there is huge segment of society that has not been dumbed down and is fuming mad. At some point if the economic pressure gets past the boiling point, civil unrest will follow. I can assure you the neighbors I have near my farm are in that category, very little television, many are home-schooling, all could subsistence farm if need be, and they are very worried about what is becoming of this great country.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there are a lot of people who do take most of what goes on for granted as being "best for America" or "the right thing to do" when its barely disguised self interests primarily at work.

many of us have been raised on the "apple pie and american way" we think that what is going on is unfortunate and we are doing the best we can...

well, lets face it, that 700 billion bailout screwed the general public BIG TIME... we will not benefit from it, we will be worse off because of it, and we would have been better off without it.

without it, sure some big companies would have gone out of business, but hey, that is life. none of those companies were paying out dividends to me when they were raking in billions from us in the 90's and early part of this century, so why should i have to pay for their mistakes now???

the reason it failed the first time is because anyone with an IQ greater than 85 knew it would not work for "the greater good"... it was to bail out a very very small handfull of people who were NOT ANYWHERE NEAR LOSING THEIR HOUSE, CAR OR LIVING IN THE STREETS

the fact that we let ourselves be talked into wanting this is a pretty pathetic commentary on our lack of common sense

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm pretty much set for a while, fortunately. If I can hold out until an "affordable" 250 miles EV is available (Tesla Model S?) then I'll sell the Prius for that car, and will have no gasoline usage. If that doesn't work out, or I need a car sooner, I'd buy a PHEV that had a significant EV range. But that would certainly be a distant second choice. If things get really tight, we'll get rid of the Prius, and just deal with one car (the EV) and our bicycles. That's mostly what we do now anyway.

Have I mentioned how happy I have to have has solar power all these years? Seemed like it was SOO expensive to put in. And now that it is out main automotive "fuel," the price of gas is just academic.

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the answer. Before too long I have to make some unconventional decisions.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yesterday was a watershed event, people around the world were celebrating. Let's hope Obama can ride the goodwill and fix this mess

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    amen!

18. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cheers Malorn. I really hope that we can put the rancor of the past behind us. What we need is pragmatists, not ideologues. I sincerely hope that the republicans learn the right lessons and are reborn, like a phoenix, from the ashes of this election. It's vitally important to have more than one voice in a democracy. A revitalized republican party, grounded in it's true principals, can offer an important second voice to the nation conversation.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree, I think the Republican Party has largely lost its way. It has not responded well to the challenges of dealing with 9/11 and has somewhat lost its way. If Obama can lead from the same point in the political spectrum that he campaigned, the Republican Party will have to move much closer to the center to be viable in the future.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am very sorry to say I probably will be right on the $2.00 /gallon gas.

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/index.asp