1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline could drop 50 cents/gallon by spring

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Feb 7, 2008.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    He's wrong AND he's right. It'll happen because fossel fuel will go up until it's no longer affordable to pull it out of the earth ... NOT because we don't by GM stuff made in the U.S. (though some of GM comes from the offshore places he hates)

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I meant about the gas price falling 50 cents this spring. Its gone up 30 cents in my area since the OP. And the slope of the curve is getting steeper.

Attached Files:

3. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow....

Morons like you are why I'm making a killing in the market.....

Schlumberger, Total, Abraxas..... They've all been priced by idiots who thinks Oil will "resettle" at 60 bucks a barrell....

A suckers born every second....

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll take that wager....

5. pet-dr-1

pet-dr-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "Iran was dangerous, Iran is dangerous, and Iran will be dangerous." - President Bush, after U.S. Intelligence releases report concluding Iran is not dangerous. Not dangerous?!? I guess hitler wasn't dangerous either. Pity the poor president when the stupid populace still drives rather than walk or bike, leave the lights on when they aren't in the room. Poor guy. None else ever looks in the mirror. It's easier to point fingers.

I don't care if gasoline costs more. My son said my Prius was a bad investment and would never pay for itself back when gas was little over $2 a gallon. I told him that even if I didn't save a dime, it would make the world a better place for his kids to breathe in. The higher gas costs get, the more the other turkeys in the SUVs look in awe as I put in my two gallons to fill up and they take out a second motrgage for a fill up. Last laugh is mine. Mean time, I am building with a green roof, wind generator and high R value in my walls. Only the stupid will line the pockets of OPEC and never realize it until it is too late. Not me.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it rather amusing that in the recent posts one above the other are thread titles one claiming a 50c drop in petrol prices and the other claiming a 50c rise. Is that hedging your bets or what?

It will do whatever and what ever it does we will keep buying it.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I paid $3.35 today.

It's easy to drop it by 50¢ in the spring when you've raised it by 75¢ over the winter.

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't get your hopes up for a drop in the spring. There ain't no drop on its way. If you set your expectations for $4.00/gallon by Memorial Day, at least you won't be disappointed.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Prices fluctuate. The general trend is up and will continue up. But there are always fluctuations, and there may well be a 50-cent drop at some point in the inevitable rise. Perhaps it will drop from $4.25 to $3.75 before it heads back up and hits $5.00 and then falls again to $4.50 and all the SUV drivers will be happy that it went down... until it hits $6.00, and then drops again... ad infinitum.

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I paid $3.50 yesterday. I guess junior's popularity is on the rise!

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have yet to see a 50-cent drop at the same station of the scenario you paint ($4.25 to $3.75). Not even when the bottom fell out from under crude prices in the mid-80s. And I certainly don't expect a 50-cent drop in gas prices now; even in a recession....

12. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't believe the "hype" that gets spread around. We've been at a steady $2.80 to $3.00 a gallon for well over a year now. I do so it going down in price.

Then I hear the media talk about $4.00 to $5.00 a gallon by summer. I don't think so.

13. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1

The pattern repeats every year. Its similar to the stock market except there is never a day where it drops by a dollar or more. :(

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just checked my gasoline purchase log for the Prius:
    - Over the past year, the price that I paid for gas fluctuated from a low of $2.93/gallon in late September (after Labor Day) to a high of $3.57/gallon in early May (Memorial Day weekend);

- The most that prices fell from one month to the next was $0.10/gallon, and that was during the Labor Day transition.

A 50-cent month-to-month drop ain't gonna happen. If you believe otherwise, I would suggest taking a short position in gasoline futures. Just don't put money you can't afford to lose at risk.

15. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gasoline prices will not drop in the spring because the oil industry owns the Republican party, and there are too many $billions in oil CEO bonuses at stake. Oil special interest will allow the price to drop late summer because they think people will see it as a great thing the Republican presidency did and then will elect another one in November, so oil CEOs can continue to rape us another four years.

16. klodhopper

klodhopper New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GOP=Gas & OIL Party
    Don't think that the price of oil will go down as long as our current administration is in office. I was amused at how "removed" our "prez" was when he was told how high gas was.
    If you own oil stocks though, make sure you sell them the day before election this fall!
    Daniel described the "ratcheting" that's going on right now in oil prices. Get them used to it, then raise it some more. I think if you set your sights for $4/gal gas by Memorial Day, you won't be disappointed.

17. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Gee, I’m glad all this money we’re spending on skyrocketing oil and gas prices will yield more drilling and availability. Hey, and let’s just stay in Iraq another 10 years so the price can keep getting even higher "because of the war."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]NOT! Here is where our oil money is going:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]http://www.helium.com/tm/262368/decide-largest-companies-total[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]http://www.wsws.org/articles/2007/apr2007/occi-a19.shtml[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2006/Soldiers-Die-CEOs-Prosper30aug06.htm[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]It is absolutely ridiculous how people refuse to accept the influence of oil and other special interests (like Chaney’s HALIBURTON) on the Republican party. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]I asked several Republicans for the main reason they voted Republican in the last election and why they will do so this year too. Their number one reason is the abortion issue. They are speechless when I remind them that even after 12 years of "Bushes" abortion is still legal, and now we also have the following:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Casualties in Iraq[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]American Deaths[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Since war began (3/19/03):[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]3973[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Since "Mission Accomplished" (5/1/03) ([/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]the list[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica])[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]3834[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Since Capture of Saddam (12/13/03):[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]3512[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Since Handover (6/29/04):[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]3115[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Since Election (1/31/05):[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]2535[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]American Wounded[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Official[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Estimated[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]23000 - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]100000[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The above does not include 1,173,743 Iraqi deaths.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Casualties in Iraq - 2008[/FONT]

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Take a look at the big picture:

[​IMG]

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    UPDATE: Just filled up this afternoon, and guess what: $3.59/gallon - new high for the log (and its not even Memorial Day)....

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John, is that from your own log of what you paid at each fill-up, or is that a record of national average prices?