1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline Engine - Are there differences from 2004 to 2009

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cooker, May 29, 2014.

1. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I need to replace the ICE in my 2007 Prius. In doing some research it appears the engines are interchangeable from 2004 to 2009. While I understand that, I am wanting to know if there are any differences in the engines during those years.

In other words, would there be any reason for me to opt for an engine out of say a 2009 instead of a 2006 (assuming the same mileage) for replacement in my car.

Thank you.

2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have been on this forum for years and I have never seen any post that would indicate a difference in the ICE.

3. JasonGoalie34

JasonGoalie34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed.

In fact, identical engines are often used across different models, and even different runs of the same model. The installation process changes, but the item itself is basically the same.

I've lived through the perfect example: I motor-swapped my 2006 Impreza a few years back... The new engine actually came out of a 2008 Impreza. Completely different cars, same "EJ25" engine.

4. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the replies.

I bought an engine out of a 2006 with 88k on it today.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job Cooker...fairly inexpensive i hear?

6. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found one at a local salvage yard for $324. I was pretty happy with that price.

7. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you couldnt replace a engine in any thing else for less than you can in a prius.

8. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What happened to the original ICE? I don't hear of them going bad very often.

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What he said.

10. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is the story with the car and the original ICE.

I purchased the car only about 2 month ago from the original owner with about 227k miles. The car was in great condition and he had a large stack of maintenace and service records so he certainly seemed to care for the car well. When I bought the car there was a slight knocking to the ICE that was only present when the car was in drive or reverse, not in neutral reving the engine. It was not severe and the price was reasonable and the car was in great shape so I bought the car anyway with the hopes that I could drive it 10k-20k miles before anything serious were to happen with the ICE. Three week later the knock went from a subtle noise to a severe ratteling/knocking noise. While I did not personally take apart and inspect the engine it seems something might have let go in the bottom end of the engine.

What I am most surprised about is that the previous owner seems knowledgeable about cars and was aware of maintenance and how to properly care for a vehicle. I would be surprised if he ran it low on oil. Regardless, it does not matter now. What's done is done. I gambled on the noise and I lost :)

The car is running again with an engine out of 2006 with 88k miles. Even after the expense of putting the engine in I am still not too bad overall into the car since the purchase price was so reasonable and now I have something that will hopefully easily go another 150k miles.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are many other major components that easily could fail as the odometer moves from 227K miles to 377K miles:
    - transaxle
    - inverter
    - traction battery
    - not to mention a failure of the skid control system, air conditioning, exhaust system, strut and shock replacement, etc etc

If you are serious about driving the car another 150K miles then I hope you have an adequate four-digit repair budget set aside. Good luck.

12. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I realize anything can happen however I don't approach vehicles with the presumptions of what might fail. I have owned many 200k+ mile vehicles, and a couple at 300k+ plus, and the engine in this 2007 I just purchased has been the first, what I would consider, major repair I have had on any of these vehicles (and it was questionable when I purchased it so that is on me). Not to mention some of these cars I do not think were as well built as the Toyotas.

I have a 2005 Prius that is nearly at 300k miles and that car has had no significant repairs to speak of and at the moment I don't have any reason to belive anything is weak or in need of repair. The dealer commented that they have quite a few customers that are well over 300k on their Prius' and a couple over 500k. I will admit, who knows how much money they have spent to keep them on the road though.

While I am capable to perform many of my own repairs and maintenance (so I realize this saves on my cost of ownership as compared to many owners) I guess I choose not to worry about the "what ifs" and drive these cars with the assumption that they will provide me with many miles and many years of service. I have too many other things to worry about and no reason to believe that I won't receive great service from the two higher mileage Prius' that I now own.

However I will be the first to admit if I do have a significant issue and/or become in need of assistance on a repair, PriusChat will be the first place I will come for some help and advice so at some point maybe this post will come back to bite me :)

ftl likes this.