1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline Engine Starts Then Stalls After 10 seconds or so

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by ugabuga, Jan 30, 2017.

1. ugabuga

ugabuga New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hello everyone,
    I recently purchased a very nice 2014 Prius C Four that had suffered a minor front end collision (airbags still good).

I was able to drive the car in electric mode off the trailer and was able to jump start it (battery was dead) but the engine only ran for about 10 seconds or less and then it stalled. While it was running There was no throttle response (I pressed the gas but engine didn't rev, while in Park). This is my first hybrid so that part may be normal, not sure.

Battery is fully charged and holds charge. I have been able to crank and start the car multiple times since I charged it but I have the same problem every time.

I have checked all plugs, even removed the inverter converter and put it back in to make sure nothing was damaged during the collision but visually everything was perfect and intact.

I have checked all the fuses and they are good too.

The info screen tells me "Check Hybrid System" and also I did get error P3191 - Engine does not start.

I doubt the inverter/converter was damaged since as I said I did drive it in electric mode off the trailer and into my driveway. So I really don't think that could be a problem.

In the owner manual it does say though:

EMERGENCY SHUT OFF SYSTEM

When a certain level of impact is detected by the impact sensor, the emergency shut off system blocks off the high voltage current and stops the fuel pump to minimize the risk of electrocution and fuel leakage. If the emergency shut off system activates, your vehicle will not restart. To restart the hybrid system, contact your Toyota dealer.

Does anyone know more about this "Emergency Shutoff System"?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe just bite the bullet, go with that? The collision might muddy the waters, but maybe still warrantied?

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. ugabuga

ugabuga New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks but this is a salvage car, so no warranty. Also not drivable so that means towing + repairs. Besides i don't mind doing the work but I wanted to ask if someone has ideas before I spend money on a repair manual subscription to get all the diagrams and do more detailed troubleshooting.

Any other ideas other than the standard "check the fuses and make sure the battery is good" ?

P.S. MAF sensor is ok

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You need professional, experienced help.
    And expect to now pay all that you saved with buying a wrecked car in the first place........or more.

P.S. A hybrid will not rev the engine in P or N; no point.
    Have you actually tried putting it in D or R to see if it will move ??........since the engine is SUPPOSED to shut off if it isn't needed ???

And have you NOW figured out that you should NOT be buying any car, wrecked or not, without a good test drive first ??

Prodigyplace and Samprocat like this.
  5. ugabuga

ugabuga New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dude, thank you for your pointless post. I have been buying and repairing salvage cars for 10 years now so don't be lecturing me.
    Just because you dont have the skills to fix a wrecked car doesn't mean nobody else does.

6. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you try disconnecting the 12 volt to clear any codes and reboot the ECUs?

7. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I assume that you are talking about the 12V battery. But the car is also highly dependent on the high voltage battery, which stores lethal amounts of energy and has a control system that can disable it if it detects any problems (which could include damaged sensors). You will probably need special diagnostic equipment to deal with it.

If you haven't worked on a hybrid car before you are probably in for a challenge. It's a lot more complex than just "fuel, air spark". But you might get lucky if the problem is in some replaceable component with visible damage. So that's probably the best tack - visually inspect everything you can, and disconnect/reconnect all wiring harness plugs in case the collision interfered with their seating.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well then you don't need help......you have more than needed to figure out this problems.....
    10 years are a lot of experience.....

Good luck
    P.S. SAM SPADE have just give you opinion in issue you are facing and from my reading your posts.....you have no experience with hybrid power cars....
    It will take a lot of education on your side....
    And especially how you interact with people here.....
    Here are a lot of Experts on this type of car's......
    Your attitude have just make me go away....

#8 Samprocat, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    ugabuga and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not your "dude".
    And that kind of an attitude will get you ignored by a LOT of people on here, even if they have something useful to offer.

WE know only what you post.
    And your first post had not even a HINT at what your level of experience IS.
    Your comment about the engine not rev'ing would tend to indicate that you know little to nothing about hybrids.

Good luck. You need an attitude adjustment.

10. ugabuga

ugabuga New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    When a user posts a question, his expertise level should have nothing to do with the way you respond. You either respond courteously with something useful or you don't. People who go around posting off-topic and derogative comments are called TROLLS.
    My response was perfectly suited to yours, so quit your whining and get out of my post.

11. ugabuga

ugabuga New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I did try disconnecting the battery but doesn't help.

And yes this is indeed my first hybrid, so I suspected no throttle response in neutral may be normal which is why in my original post I wrote

"While it was running There was no throttle response (I pressed the gas but engine didn't rev, while in Park). This is my first hybrid so that part may be normal, not sure. "

Sean Nelson - this is indeed what i was inquiring about - this system which shuts off the hybrid high voltage if it detects problems. Any idea what exactly happens or what tools would be able to read the hybrid system ECU and diagnose the problem? BMW's have a little capsule on the positive wire terminal on the battery which explodes and disconnects the battery to avoid fires. I was wondering if there isn't something similar to that here...

12. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Sorry, but the high voltage system is way out of my admittedly not terribly extensive car repair experience. I once dropped the transmission in one of my cars to replace the clutch, but that kind of mechanical stuff is pretty easy to figure out compared to the completely opaque functionality of all the black boxes in modern cars, particularly hybrids.

I do understand that there's a fuse on the high voltage battery and I believe it's located near the master cutoff switch which is under the rear seat. But since you said that you've driven the car on electric power I wouldn't expect that to be the issue.

13. ugabuga

ugabuga New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Sean. I do believe that couldn't be the problem but thanks I will check that fuse anyway.
    I think the route battery -> motors is ok, however there is something on the generator -> battery route that isn't quite right. I will keep you guys posted

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You need Techstream to pull the DTC's so you will know what codes are being triggered. This will tell you what your problems are.

Samprocat and ugabuga like this.
  15. ugabuga

ugabuga New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks JD actually just before your response I was looking at the Toyota TIS service and there I found out about the existance of Techstream. I've ordered one of the many VCI cabled available on Amazon which people say work well with Techstream, so I guess I am on the right track.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just from what I've read, it's best to run it on a laptop, preferably older Windows Operating system, preferably 32 bit, Windows XP or 98. I believe Windows 7 or 10 will work, with some workarounds? Last but not least: should never be connected to internet, in case there is malicious code in the Techstream.

(Maybe in another decade: owners of these 30 grand cars won't have to skulk about like this?)

17. ugabuga

ugabuga New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the tips. I did read that. I have a WinXP virtual machine that I use for the VW VCDS and other similar systems, so windows won't be an issue.

As far as skulking about - people will always try to save money. I personally paid a lot less, it being a salvage car.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Skulking is pretty much necessity, I'm afraid to even think what a legal techstream setup would cost. In the thousands?

19. ugabuga

ugabuga New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    $1500 to about $6000 depending on what you decide to get
    i was goign to paste the link but the forum won't let me

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, don't mean to sound snarky, or unhelpful but really?
    The fact that this is a purchased Salvage Vehicle is a VERY salient fact, it is fundamental to the dynamics of the whole situation. Leaving that revelation out of the original query misleads people into a lesser understanding of your situation.

Otherwise people are assuming a "operational, regular health" history with the vehicle, which NEVER has existed for you as the owner of this salvaged vehicle.

Since this is a salvaged vehicle...bought at? Auction, Salvage Yard? Neighbors Yard Sale?

Well in all honesty the problems being demonstrated by the vehicle could be coming from any numerous possible problems because very little is known about the vehicle except that it is a salvaged vehicle that evidently was in some degree of front end collision.

Full disclosure of a fact such as this is a salvage vehicle needs to be something said 1st...not the 3rd post.

"I have been buying and repairing salvage cars for 10 years now so don't be lecturing me. "

If you have a repair history and are approaching this as a salvage vehicle "project" fine. Your purchase, Your choice, Your Challenge.
    But then you DO admit you have no experience with Hybrid Vehicles.
    But if you have much automotive repair experience at all you should know "visually everything was perfect and intact." really means nothing. It wouldn't end up being a salvaged vehicle if it had cheap and easy repair problems.

So it does sound snarky...but the truth is you should of revealed a full disclosure of your situation early in your first post, including that it is a salvaged vehicle and that you evidently purchased it with the intent to repair it as a salvaged vehicle.

I would say, a decade of buying and repairing salvaged vehicles might not be as helpful of a history with dealing with a Prius, because it is a significantly different animal being a hybrid and with so many computer controlled aspects.
    If you are not an expert on Hybrids, I think you will quickly become one if your approach is to NOT seek experienced professional help.

Pulling the DTC's IS probably the best first step.
    So yes, I think you are heading in the right direction.

priustexasbob likes this.