1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline-only mode, what is it called

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Charles Peterson, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Charles Peterson

Charles Peterson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About a month ago, I was driving on the freeway in 2006 Prius at around 4pm and a bunch of warning lights (including yellow triangle) came on and the car lost some power. I pulled off the road and checked manual, which basically said that I could drive the car to dealer UNLESS the brake light was on, in which case I should have it towed.

I got back on freeway and quickly noticed that there was a terrible lack of ability to accelerate and the engine sounded as if it was running very hard (or maybe it was just the cooling fan), so I got off the freeway and took surface streets to the dealer. It was only about 4 miles remaining, but with heavy traffic and I could barely get across uphill intersections before the light changed. It was a very hot day (about 105 degrees F) and I opened all the windows so as not to have run the AC, which was just blowing hot air anyway. It was quite an ordeal, and the trip took about 45 minutes to cover 5 miles, which would have been 10 minutes on the freeway.

I finally got to dealer and they later determined the HV battery had failed. They also replaced the inverter pump under voluntary recall. A few days later they also needed to replace a relay, and I insisted that 12V battery be replaced also. Now my car seems to run better than ever.

But I'm a little worried that my trip to the dealer apparently with only gasoline power may not have been good. The engine did seem to be revving very hard. I'm wondering if I could have foamed the transaxle fluid, put stress on engine cooling hoses, that sort of thing. My 80,000 mile service is coming due, and I'm thinking of asking them to check for possible damage, or maybe even change transaxle fluid as a precautionary measure.

But I barely know how to investigate this situation because I don't know what it is called. The Dealer said I had used "failsafe" mode, but that now appears to be a description of the failsafe braking feature.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please provide all the DTCs (error codes) that were listed. That'll give us more to go on rather than just symptoms.

HV battery failure that early is very rare and odd, BTW.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you said the engine was running funny.. high rpms or did it feel like it was only using 3 cylinders? i've had an ignition coil go bad... not to be mistaken for spark plugs... you could replace those too if you wish.

the only way i was able to find it was by doing a test while it was running poorly. i left he car in diagnostics mode (or whatever it is) with the ice running at all times. i then pulled coils one at a time. the car will shut off if two cylinders malfunction but not one. when i pulled coil 1 the car continued to run poorly, so i replaced it. i've never had a stall/loss of power problem since.

reading your post over.... you said the a/c was blowing hot air... did you tell your dealer that? (i don't recall a/c issues when i had a coil issue)

4. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You didn't mention cost. Did they replace your 5 year old HV battery at no charge?

5. Charles Peterson

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please answer question, is there a name for running with dead HV battery, a name like "failsafe mode". If I know the name I can easily search for others having same problem. They never told me the error codes.

Prior to the breakdown, I noticed the battery was always discharged in the morning, after becoming fully charged at night. I was planning to have dealer check it out the following week. All repair work including replacement of HV battery was done at no cost to me, and I also got 3 weeks of free car rental (two breakdowns and waiting for parts) and free towing. I'm not sure what part of that was covered by standard warranty and what part by Toyota Platinum extended warranty, and since it was all covered I didn't ask. I thought the HV battery was covered to 7 years 100,000 miles in Texas (more in California). I paid for 12V battery myself because they didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

There has been no sign of anything wrong with engine ever. But when HV battery went out and I was continuing on to dealer with all the warning lights, it seemed like the engine was revving very high. Or maybe it was just that the cooling fan was running very high. It was that kind of sound, like a cooling fan running very high. No roughness at all.

Perhaps I remember incorrectly about the AC. I shut it off, fearing it would add to difficulty. But I thought I noticed just before shutting off that it was blowing warm, and I figured AC compressor wouldn't run with dead HV battery since it is powered by HV battery. It's worked perfectly after HV battery replacement.

6. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hope you get all your answers and can quit worrying about your ride, but you convinced me of one thing, I'm gonna get the platinum warranty when I close in on 36 months of ownership or 36k miles.:(

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i used to be turtle mode.. there is name for it.. you basically have it at failsafe mode... it takes a major error or a few minor ones to make the car shut off.

it seems they may have addressed the main issues. you may want to make sure the HV battery fan is clean. mine was clogged with general dust.

full one night and lower the next startup/morning is something i've only produced with a hot HV battery...

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, they didn't list ANY error codes on the work order/receipt? Without them, we don't know if they properly addressed the issues or unnecessarily replaced parts, like the HV battery. On the plus side, if they did replace it, at least you got one that should have plenty more life left than the remainder of your original (if it wasn't bad).

Per Toyota Owners - Warranty Information
    HV battery is covered for 10 years/150K miles in CA and CARB states. Also, in CARB states, there's a 15 year/150K mile emissions warranty.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sometimes it is called "limp home mode".

Tom

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought you do that after a bad date? : p

G urple, your car's hybrid components are covered for at least 100k.

11. Charles Peterson

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, thanks, I checked the receipt, and in fact it does list the error codes under which the HV battery was replaced:

PA80 and P3019. It also notes check engine light and VSC trac light.

So what would would you call this driving mode?

And what would have been the wear-and-tear on the engine and transaxle as I was limping to the dealer in heavy traffic for 45 minutes on a 105 degree day? Like I said, it seemed like either engine or engine cooling fan was running at high speed, and I fearing disaster at any moment.

12. Charles Peterson

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [repost?] I see now the error codes are listed on the receipt: PA80 and P3019. It also mentions check engine and vsc trak light on.

So what kind of stress would driving under these conditions put on gasoline engine and transaxle? It seemed like either engine and/or cooling fan was running very high, and it took a minute to accelerate through uphill intersections. It was 105 degrees and I needed to drive for 40 minutes through heavy street traffic to get to dealership.

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    P3019: Battery cell 9 is weak

Your other code is mising a digit.

14. Charles Peterson

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PA80 is what the receipt says, so I'll have to ask the service manager next time what the real code was. BTW, the battery part number is G9510-47031. That's a whole new battery assembly, right?