1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline price decreasing- interest in hybrids

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Don't forget Canada:
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/rankings/crude...debycountry.htm

I was shocked to find the U.K. on this list. They have oil to export??? That's amazing! The only other First World island nation I can think of is a net importer of oil, and they even helped start a major global war over it. Ironically, they also make the Prius... Guess they figured out that its cheaper to save oil than fight over it.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BBC: North Sea Oil

3. whatshisname

whatshisname New Member

I often hear drivers point out how much more expensive a gallon of gasoline is in Europe and we shouldn't complain. I'm wondering if it truly is very much more expensive. We have to know more about their tax structure. I've been told there are fewer taxes in other areas of their economy which are then made up by taxing the fuel they use. Then their Imperial gallon is somewhat larger than our gallon whatever its called. Hmmm.

4. m4prius

m4prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oil makes the world go round...but so does food...The US may import oil but is also a big exporter of food to other nations...I would think if the US is effected by OIL shortages...or by terrorists attacking our homeland...a food shortage could follow on foreign soil....but do they ever think about the effects on food sent to there nation from the USA...if the food exports were to stop, because of a oil shortage....including the medical help...who is really hurting ...food for thought.

It’s not just USA importing oil...its USA GIVING food and medical aid...and bringing respect to all folks around the globe.

Thank God for our troops and our President for protecting the USA and allowing the flow of oil to produce the flow of FOOD that aides other countries in need.

5. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Here in the UK, petrol and diesel are both around 80p per litre, of which approximately 60p is tax, and the remainder is (IIRC) pretty much equally composed of the crude oil cost and the refining/transport/retail costs. (Gas - in the form of LPG or CNG - is about half the price of liquid fuel, but not many vehicles use it).

An Imperial gallon is 8 pints, that is about 4½ litres, compared to a US gallon of about 3¾ litres. Or equivalently, 4 Imp gal == 5 US gal.

If we take the the exchange rate to be 1.82 $/£ (correct at time of typing), then

1 US gal is 3.786 litres, which will cost about £3.03, or $5.50.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that "there are fewer taxes in other areas of the economy" - VAT in all of Europe is higher than sales tax anywhere I've been in the US, and is applied to most "non-essential" goods and services (and yes, on taxes - we even have to pay tax on fuel and alcohol duties), and road tax isn't exactly cheap.

You guys in the US definitely have things cheaper than here. But then again, some things we take for granted, such as the National Health Service, don't appear to have an equivalent, so maybe you have to pay for more things out of your own pockets rather than through taxation.

6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I can't believe that some folks still believe that the USA is God's gift to the world: the world's referee, the world's police, the world's conqueror.

7. whatshisname

whatshisname New Member

I'm in my middle 80's. I spent 7 years in the military bracketing World War II from beginning to end. My battles were in the Pacific. It's obvious that I don't have much time left on this planet so the future doesn't worry me too much. I just want to spend my remaining days going from here to there in my Prius and perhaps leaving it to someone who will take care of it because I'm sure it's going to last for many years to come. I'm so discouraged when I read about all this hate and criticsm of America, the greatest country in the history of man. If it weren't for my adult children and their offspring who will survive me I would wish things that happened, never did. I would wish the Japanese had succeeded and retained their occupation of almost the entire eastern world and certainly North and South America. I almost wish Hitler had retained ownership and control of practically all of Europe. We stopped Hitler so that Russia could someday build a wall in Germany. I almost wish we never flew thousands of flights over that wall carrying food, medical supplies and even coal for furnaces to desperate Germans. I almost wish the Berlin Wall were standing today so I could see how hungry Germans would react to our efforts to give the same help to Irag's poor citizens. I almost wish everything was allowed to happen without our interference so that all Americans who blatently declare they're ashamed to be American would actually get the chance to be something else. It's not too late. Terrible things may happen to America yet, but chuckle, chuckle, I'm going to miss it all.

8. Medved

Medved New Member

Gas prices on the rise again

I knew it was only a matter of time.

Prices here in Cleveland Ohio went from $1.71 to $1.85 over night. You know, the $.02 cent tax increase in effect. I am sure the holiday weekend also help inflate the price.

9. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you

You Sir, I stand up and salute. I also offer my humble thanks for your service to this country, long before I was ever a thought in my parents eyes. Far too few people today can be bothered to read a little history these days I guess. While I wouldn't call this country a "gift from God," it IS the greatest place to be, anywhere on the planet. People need to look at the media, and realize what it is, a propaganda medium. I have personally heard from SEVERAL people personally that we have in fact found LARGE quantities of WMD in Iraq. This information HAS been forwarded to the media, yet they refuse to air it. Why? Would it be that their left wing bias cannot stand to air this data that supports the President that they revile? I'm not going to go into the defense of Bush, I don't particularly care for him myself. However, we are not being given the whole story.

The reality is that THIS country is the one that is looked upon in times of need around the world. We come to the aid of other countries, both openly, and covertly on a continual basis. If we are such a bad people, why ask for our help? I think people should take stock in what Whatshisname said. It's the sacrifices of people like him, both in time served, and especially lives lost that keep our rights to be critical of our government, as well as choose to live our lives in the manner we see fit. If people feel that this country is so bad, I invite them to visit another country, and ATTEMPT to speak critically of their government. Chances are, that you will not return to tell of the story.

10. rflagg

rflagg Member

Seems that the people here are getting off topic - anyways, gas prices here are still hovering right aroudn 2/gal, some places are 2.05, some are 1.97. I'm still waiting for this great drop in prices everyone was talking about!

-m.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So am I. Gas prices are down only about a dime or so around here.

12. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, ours were up over $2.20 for a bit, and are now down in the $1.85 (or less if you shop araound) range so it's quite a change.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gas is now $1.95 a gallon for the cheapest in town. but i heard the gas prices would drop to about $1.35 a gallon until the election then go right back up again.

well it dont look like its gonna make it. it might go to $1.75 or so but i dont see it going much lower than that.

and when i was in Europe i thought that most of the countries over there were some of the most heavily taxed i had ever seen.

that is why so many British Rockers and celebrities left the country was because of the excessive taxation.

also for the guy who wanted to know where Alaska oil was going. well its coming to me. in my area, 70% of the gas we use comes from Alaska. 21 % comes from Canada and the rest from several diffferent places.

Saudi Arabia provides a mere 11% of the imported oil. the link in this post that shows Saudi Arabia as the #1 importer of oil to the US is wrong.

1. Canada 17%
    2. Mexico 13.7%
    3. Venezuela 11.9%
    4. Saudi Arabia 11%

anyone who believes that Iraq is currently the #6 importer to the US has some serious issues...

14. whatshisname

whatshisname New Member

I've read more than that there remains more oil in this planet than has been extracted since its discovery. It'll probably last even longer now that there appears to be more interest and development in alternative fuels.

15. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Gas in Germany currently costs aroung EURO 1.15/liter, of which circa 70% is tax. Income tax, pension, unemployment and health care take circa 50% of my monthly income. Sales tax is 17.5% In addition, there is an energy tax on electricity and gas (for cooking/heating), an anual road tax on each car, as well as taxes on just about any other thing you can think of!

So the bottom line is we pay one hell of a lot of tax. Maybe somewhere about 80% in total (never worked it out to be honest). :x

16. Tigkoly

Tigkoly New Member

Seeing that oil is back at $40 a barrel I don't see gas prices ever coming down, not for an election, not for anything. Once gas prices go up by $.25 a gallon, then they drop it down by $.10 and everyone is happy. It is still $.15 higher than 2 months ago, but gee it was just $.25 higher last month.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually i believe you are right, but the problem lies in that wells when going dry, their yields slowly decline so as to not be financially feasible to continue to pump the oil.

that does bring up another point, that if the Earth is contiously making oil, why do wells dry up?? what happened to the fields in Ok and Ca?? they used to provide plenty of oil. their production has declined and many were shut down. if this theory is true, then we should be able to go back and find these wells refilled...

18. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that the Earth constantly makes oil. However, the process is MUCH slower than what we would see replenished in our lifetimes.

19. canuckican

canuckican New Member

Currently where I live in Canada...

1 Liter of gas = $.80CAD

$.80CAD/Liter x 3.79 L/gal x $1USD/$$1.317CAD = $2.30USD/gal

So most of America is doing okay, comparatively. However...

To truly compare apples to apples, you have to figure out how much of that gas cost is state applied tax. In canada, a lot of that $2.30/gal is tax. In Europe, I expect the same is true - the majority of your cost is tax. This is possible when society as a whole decides to use the revenue raised by driving (which is a privilege not a right) for the benefit of all. I think the US could use a higher tax on gas personally. When I lived in Colorado we all rode bikes, so we had no problem supporting a gas tax hike.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ummm the best price i know of in town is about $1.95.9 for unleaded regular and i believe we pay about 59 cents per gallon in state tax which was the highest in the nation 2 years ago.

but i think other places have past us since then