1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasp - from rural to urban driving my MPG dropped a lot!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TheNewGuy8, Sep 4, 2011.

1. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All!

So I got my 2006 prius in June. I love it. However - this summer I was driving said car in New Hampshire - mostly on highways or rural streets. I got an average of ~51 mpg (computer-reported). Sometimes higher in the ~55mpg range.

I drove cross country and am now driving the car in Berkeley, CA. After 200 miles driven I'm getting about ~36mpg! Is this normal? I thought the prius was supposed to do better in city driving than highway driving?

Issues I'm seeing:
    1) the traffic in the Bay requires lots of quicker stopping and sudden acceleration. I try to avoid this as much as possible.
    2) I can't really use cruise control.
    3) I'm trying to do pulse and glide but I think I'm missing the general idea - I find that to keep at least 25-30mph I need to keep some acceleration going and this seems to kill my mileage.

I'd love any help you all might offer.

Thanks!

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Until you are used to driving patterns, just ignore it. It's far more important that you are safe, and don't get in an accident.

Once you are used to driving on the West Coast, you can drive more hyper-mileage-y.

Oh, and I assume you've checked your tire pressures, and have changed out your air filter, etc.

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out different routes as well. Hal

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Rae. Just drive it and don't bother with pulse and glide stuff. Bay area traffic can be difficult but unless you are making very short trips you should still be able to get 45mpg or higher once you are used to the area. You can always ask what other Prius drivers in the area are getting. In Berkeley there is a Prius on every street. lol

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There could also be some temperature related stuff going on here. I'm assuming it's a fair bit warmer in Berkley than New Hampshire. The A/C is probably working a lot harder.

It's also probably worth checking that all you coolant levels are good and that your getting good flow in the inverter coolant reservoir. Ditto for the rear battery cooling fan.

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Berkeley (and the SF bay area) is not hot like the Central Valley and Southern California. You probably used the AC more back East.

The mpg does seem a bit low - I would check the 12 volt battery to see if it was replaced. It's time to replace it. A low 12 volt battery will cause the ICE to run full time to bring the charge up.

If you live high up in the Berkeley Hills this could be a factor. The Prius has to work extra hard to get up those hills. But, my wife gets 39 to 44mpg in her 2008 with lots of short trips.

The good news is the good independent hybrid garages we have in the bay area.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How long were you drives before in time and length? What % was city vs. highway? Lots of stop and go? How about all of these now?

If you have short city drives, that WILL kill your mileage. Some parts of Berkeley are quite hilly, which will also hurt. See ConsumerReports.org - Most fuel-efficient cars for what CR got.

As for city vs. highway mileage, it would help to read what goes into the tests. See http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...uth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html

Answering http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-answer-these-questions-esp-if-youre-new.html instead of just the questions I posed would help.

8. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input, all.

The 12v battery should definitely be checked - thanks for reminding me. It definitely needs to be replaced. I'll probably upgrade to the yellowtop - that seems to be the consensus of the best move?

Temperatures are lower here than in NH (during summer at least).

I'm quite used to Bay area driving - just was in NH for the summer, but I've lived here for 4 years or so.

Most of my drives are 7-20 minutes, all within Berkeley/Oakland and rarely up into the hills. Almost all of it is on surface streets, maybe 15% on highways (which can be stop and go themselves, given bay area traffic).

That thread, Cwerdna, was helpful, thanks. I definitely need to check my tire pressure, oil level (i forgot to tell them 1/8" below full last time, so it probably is over-full), and change the 12v.

Thanks all.

If anyone can point me to a really good guide for city hypermiling I'd appreciate it!

thanks!

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Those drives that are under 10 minutes will kill your mileage. Notice that the first 5 minutes, in many cases will yield crap mileage, esp. if the car has sat overnight or longer. What you describe does sound like a recipe for not so good mileage.

How long were your previous drives?

As for hypermiling, see Beating the EPA - The Why’s and How to Hypermile - CleanMPG Forums.

I changed my 12 volt to the Optima Yellow Top w/kit from elearnaid.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep I agree with this. I average about 55 MPG all up, but the first five minutes is often about 45 or less.

BTW. What's the weather doing in the northern hemisphere right now? Just entering Fall? We're just getting into spring here in the South, so my MPG's are starting to increasing a little right now. :D