1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gauging potential for 11.6in multimedia class action suite

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Dmitriy Sokol, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It doesn't seem very widespread on here (although I can remember a couple threads about it). So it seems you have a couple of choices:

1. Try to gather evidence for a class action suit. This is a first step. Cross post on other green car forums. Document as bob Wilson described, and it needs to be excellent documentation or Toyota's lawyers will shred it. Spend months or years attempting to do this. Toyota may patch something in a 2020 mid cycle refresh or the next generation. You'll get $6.22 for your trouble along with the other owners in the suit. Sometimes these things go well for the owners, like the VW scandal, but I have found that to be the exception. It's worth noting that in that case, the government was the one offended.

2. You have a new car. Try to push for a warranty repair. Unfortunately that same bob Wilson documentation will help you there. It's not really product testing, although I understand how you feel that way. It's more like getting your ducks in a row so they don't dismiss you out of hand. Yes it will be frustrating but it should be free (financially) and more importantly you should eventually get some kind of resolution. If it is a very painful process, you can either trade out of the car or stay the course and factor that into your next car purchase. There are brands I won't consider due to bad past experiences.

In the meantime, I appreciate you posting about the problem. I am required to have an iPhone for work. I am not in the market for a new car but if I was things like this would help me make my decision. Good luck!

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prime selling well, but only a few months so far.
    We're talking only what? 5000 vehicles, and I am thinking the 11.2 screen is only a certain % of Prime (correct me).
    and % Prius owners on Prius Chat is fairly small, although it is issues that brings folks here.

3. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My screen doesn't shut off but I do know that my Prime Premium and iPhone 7 do not get along. After turning the car on I found if you use Siri by holding the steering wheel talk key then Siri works fine, but the phone calls using touch screen of car doesn't work. After powering car off then back on (don't use Siri wheel talk key), the calls can be made or received using cars phone app. Pretty much whichever you use first after power on the car is what works ,the other will not. I personally never use entune, the apps on the iPhone including navigation is 1000% more useable than the software of the Prime entune\phone\navigation. I actually prefer the way my 2007 Prius functions using Bluetooth to my phone over the Primes setup.

#23 Chris Jones, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not positive, but it appears as though iPhone users seem to be having a lot of problems (at least in Prius-chat) with the connections to the car. Aside from not liking how the GPS system works I'm very happy with the way my car connects to my Samsung Galaxy S7 and access to anything in the car is wonderful. I've had no problems whatsoever with that including Pandora,iHeartradio, remote charge, gas stations. But again I'm using an Android unlike these poor iPhone users. It would be interesting to see if iPhone users having problems with their connections to their Primes could get access to an Android phone and see if the problem still occurs. I do IT onsite support and we frequently see compatibility issues with computers and peripherals.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  5. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm sure Toyota will do an update. Many will not switch the phones they use just to get their car to be happy. Heck I bet many Toyota employees use iPhones. Part of the problem may be that I have the premium not the advanced, the advanced app has way more functionality/connectivity with the car, my app is very basic.

6. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The idea is not to switch phones, it is to find out if the phone and the car interface are the problem. If you have this information, you could supply that to Toyota to see if they can create a workaround with Apple. If the problem remains when using an Android, then we know that it's something to do with the Toyota and not with the phone. If you don't have time to troubleshoot it yourself, drive the car to the dealership and ask for a loaner car while they fix yours. If they won't help you, contact Toyota corporate.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  7. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I like the video idea showing your car's issue.
    Bring the video to dealer service dept or use a different dealer if need be.
    As for your time, a rental car should be provided at no cost.

Class action?

Perhaps better..... Lemon Law.
    Three attempts to repair I believe.
    "Lawyer up" as need be, yet Toyota may be able to fix the issue with a new head unit.

Could be many things...your phone, the head unit, wiring issue, frequency interference ....just thinking out loud here.

Other members of this forum have great advise too.

Good luck.

priuscatprimeguy and Kramah313 like this.
  8. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    2023 --- worked great for 1100 miles. I still have the temp tag on it!
    I have an Android. My multimedia reboots every 20 seconds continuously. This has been happening for over 24 hours.
    Can't get an appointment for 2 more days. I'm going to try walking in tomorrow.
    So bummed and disappointed.