1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gave up the PriusV

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Ronald Doles, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello All

We are in the process of selling our home in Columbus, Ohio. We purchased a home in Punta Gorda Florida in June. We rented a 26' moving van to get most of our stuff down there. We also rented a towing dolly to get the Prius down there. I won't do that again. It was a pretty nerve wracking trip, especially trying to get through Atlanta. That truck has a really poor turning radius and backing up that truck with a car on a towing dolly was near impossible.

We decided to move because my daughter's family lives in Cape Coral and we wanted to be closer to them and the grandkids.

Our daughter had a 2007 Honda Element that is pretty high miles, 170k. She said that if Honda still sold them she wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I suggested that she drive our 15 PriusV and see if she liked it. She did. She said the visibility wasn't quite as good and acceleration was more sluggish than the Element but the mileage was great and she liked the touchscreen and the gadgetry. Long story short, we traded cars with her.

The Element is mechanically sound and will be our daily driver for now. While we were down there closing on the house we didn't drive any distance and our only regular trip was about 3 miles round-trip to the grocery. Our other car is an Odyssey with a trailer hitch. We plan to keep it in case we need to haul or tow something.

Once we are down there full time I may clean up the Element and sell it because we could just rely on the Odyssey. We drive so little that mileage isn't a factor and getting down to one car would not be a problem.

Another option would be to purchase an EV for our daily driver. There are some pretty good discounts on some of them right now. The cheapest Leaf is $19.9k after the federal tax credit for the 40kw battery version with 150 mile range. That might just suit our purposes. Florida Power electric rates are not as good as the AEP rates in Ohio but they aren't bad and they do have net metering for solar panels.

if you don't mind, I will be lurking on this website from time to time.

Wishing everyone a safe end to this covid pestilence.

Ron

hill, Raytheeagle, dig4dirt and 2 others like this.
  2. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Glad you made the move without accidents! We tow a 32-foot camper trailer all over Colorado (including the mountain passes) and it's not for the feint of heart, for sure!! Some of those mountain gas station are not built for being very accessible for a Tundra with the trailer and I've gotten myself in a few pickles trying to get in and out safely. (Thankfully, didn't scrap or hit anything, yet!)
    Glad your daughter like the Prius! We have a niece with a very old Prius that's been great for her for years which is one of the reasons we decided to try one in 2017...and now we have two!
    And thanks for your service...my Dad was US Army (1961-1982) and did three tours in Vietnam.

dig4dirt likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to the armpit of North America! :D Actually, if you don't mind the extra sweating, it's a pretty nice place for the most part.

I hope so. Who knows, you might wind up with another Prius. :)

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck in the Sunshine State!

Start prepping for the hurricanes NOW, and do not discount a good Prius Prime when getting the next car.
    When things settle down you will be able to get a Prime for a little more than the price of the Green Leafy thing and you'll still be able to stuff amps in the can at night for most or all of your daily driving - and still be able to bug out before a storm.....or when you want to see the Buckeyes lose. :D

Best of Luck!!
    Stay around....;)

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you been looking at the weather maps? LOL! Tropical Storm Fred is fixing to come right up the Gulf coast along the trail blazed by the one we had a few weeks ago. But then, we had way way way more wind and rain last week from a stationary front. :LOL:
    Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 2.51.03 PM.png

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don’t say stuff like that on Facebook!! :eek:

Yep….just shifted some vaca……just in case.

Betcha a dozen PriusChat trophy points they find a way to make it a CAT-1 before it makes landfall….

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

I thought Atlanta was the armpit....Florida must be...hmm...I'll have to think on that one. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jerrymildred and tochatihu like this.
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Connection to armpit is not immediately obvious but I like reading stories about stories.

10. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We are pretty familiar with Florida as we have spent the past 5 winters prior to 2020 at our daughter's home. Due to covid, we lost the spare bedroom at our daughters as it had become her home office.

We were stuck in Ohio. I had to run the snowblower nearly every other day in February. One day I slipped on some ice under the snow and found myself laying flat on my back wondering if I broke anything. Near the end of February, the snowblower was ice encrusted from the frequent use and the fact that we don't have a heated garage to thaw it after each use. I came out, pressed the start button and the electric starter spun but didn't engage the engine. I resorted to the rope start which on a cold 8 hp engine was a great way to reinjure my shoulder. Of course the engine didn't start on the first pull and the rope didn't recoil back in. I was done. Somebody was trying to tell me something. it convinced me that my snowblower wasn't designed for constant use in a cold climate and more importantly I didn't want to do that winter routine anymore. My wife had been ready to move closer to our daughter and grandkids for some time and now I was onboard.

We closed on the Florida house in July and then before we returned to Ohio to sell our home we got 4 estimates for impact windows. We selected a vendor which started the clock on a 3 month wait for the new windows to be installed. Probably too late for this hurricane season.

You may be right that a plug-in hybrid or even a Sienna hybrid may be our best bet given our routines.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, you won't hurt your shoulder starting your snowblower here. But you might aggravate it trying to scrub the love bugs off your car.

Well, there are other hot sweaty places. :LOL:

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jerrymildred likes this.