1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GD dash cover

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Nov 9, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I ordered the replacement and took the old one out Saturday:
    [​IMG]
    This is how the old dash cover came out:
    [​IMG]

Lessons's learned:
    1. Remove the frame holding the MFD and tape deck along with the remaining dash cover fragments.
    2. Disconnecting the locked socket/plugs by pushing down the tab . . . be patient.
    In reassembly, I could not figure out why the circuit board would not fit until I noticed this left-over, fragment of an alignment pin:
    [​IMG]
    That little gray pin in the middle. Once I pushed it out, the circuit board mounted flush and the buttons felt right.

I am still shopping for a replacement for the Toyota 86120-47030. The cassette deck does not work with an adapter and I would really like to have better interfaces. As for the CD player, I've not used it in years so I'm not sure it really has a future role . . . yet. I am open to suggestions.

Our second car is also a Prius so I'll use it for now. But I'd like to get it back and running by the end of the week.

Bob Wilson

2. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Search "dice i-toyota-r ipod" on ebay and you'll find my solution for all three of my gen 1's. There's a thread here somewhere where Chap explains the wiring modifications needed to make it work on a gen 1. It works great with the 30 pin ipod/iphone and anything with a headphone jack.

3. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bid on a new replacement finish panel that showed up on ebay, I didn't get it. It went for almost $140 with shipping:(

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, I found Paul's solution:
    Radio Auxiliary Install? | PriusChat

I'll check the local businesses too but I suspect we're going with this approach. The CD changer is not needed and replacing it will solve the problem. It will leave the radio position "blank" but I have an idea.

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Found two solutions, $99 retail:
    • Pioneer MVH-X370BT - better documention
    • JVC KDX310BT - not very detailed
    I'll probably go with the Pioneer but I am still shopping. I won't buy until later this week.

Bob Wilson

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nov 28 - Nov 12 = 16 days to "Black Friday"

I'll pull the ground on the 12V until I get the solar tickle charger in. Also, I'l redouble my efforts to find the electrical diagram. But the old, Toyota radio/cassette play will not be going back in. I'll replace the gap with a set of connectors so I can access signals without having to break-in to the panel.

With luck, maybe I can find enough signals and documentation to make the MFD into something more useful. Perhaps put a headless Mac in the panel . . . <grins>

Bob Wilson

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Owch!

I was seeing so many posts on here recently about how the center finish panel can't be removed without shattering/crumbling that back in August I went out to my car and shot video of taking it out. Then for 2½ months I've put off doing the editing and signing up for a vidhosting service, but I've finally been inspired to finish it:

I hope this will help somebody else not have to replace the panel if it can be avoided. (I guess they are still easy enough to get at the dealer, and the price was better than $200 last I checked, but I'm sure Toyota won't have new ones to sell forever.)

(In case the video embed feature in the forum software gives trouble, here's a direct link.)

#7 ChapmanF, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    rbdigital likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, I'm 2/3d done.

On Friday, I bought:
    [​IMG]
    The lowest in the series, I found an "open box" and snagged it for $40. The harness cost $20.

Here I've moved the mounting hardware from the CD player on the right to the media player:
    [​IMG]
    There is no space on the existing CD player slot for the front panel. But I'm not using the CD player so out it goes.

It wasn't until now that I realized the mounting hardware was offset. The 'dust' outline of the CD player on the top shows the offset. The medial player shows the nearly 1.5 cm offset below:
    [​IMG]

The wiring adapter was color code matched. The only wire not connected is an "orange one" that is labeled "dimmer:"
    [​IMG]

So with a couple of "opps," everything went back together. But when I started the car, the speedometer remained dark; the MFD lit but no battery level, and; the heater fan would not spin. None of the status lights turned on. I suspect the OBD repeater is not working. Since there are three sockets but I only remember plugging in one, I am sure that is the problem . . . but it is dark outside. The engine worked perfectly but I had no instrumentation.

Tomorrow I'll open it up again and get the other two connectors in. Then I'll be able to work on the next phases. I'll also take some photos of the blue tooth microphone installation.

Bob Wilson

#8 bwilson4web, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014