1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GE Silverstar's as high beams any trouble with heat?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ES44AC, May 28, 2020.

1. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have added Diode Dynamic SL-1's as my low beams and I like them. I did try and use a pair for high beams but all I got was unfocused blast of light with no discernible beam, guaranteed to piss off oncoming cars. Putting my halogen bulbs back in as highs works OK but I'd like to add something with TINY bit of blue. Clearly expecting a reflector housing to focus an LED is a stretch, but I did try just to see. Once the halogens were in place I had a usable high beam again.

I was considering the GE Silverstars as high beam replacements. but I am worried that they may get so hot they melt the base where they lock in.

Is anyone using the GE's as high beams as I am suggesting?

I know they won't last as long as the stock halogens but that's OK as long as I don't get a melted mess where the headlight nice person'y was! Or if you have an alternative to use please let me know.

Thanks a lot,

ES

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did GE buy/take over Sylvania? I had a set of Sylvania Silverstars in my Gen 2 (50/60W dual filament bulbs). They were on all the time as Toyota Canada used the low beam at reduced intensity filament as DRLs.

3. GTW

GTW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I purchased a pair of Silverstars, and 1 burned out 6 months later. Re-installed factory, and no more issues.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah lifespan isn't great. My first set (on the Gen 2) lasted 11 and 12 months. (at least they burned out within a month of each other).